Help! Wahat have i done to my mower? (unusual vibration)

TerryInLeesburg

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Help! Wahat have i done to my mower? (unusual vibration)
Hi everyone;

This is my first post. I have a Honda HR217, about 15 years old. Worked great until I messed with it!

Really, all I was doing was trying to put on a dethatching blade. Here is what happened:

1) Turned off the fuel, and tipped the mower over (with the oil drain side down).
2) I tried to take off the middle bolt (which I now know was wrong!). I could not get it to budge.
3) Realized that it does not need to come off. Retightened it (I did not know it had a torque, so I just tightened it as much as I could).
4) Removed the two blade attachment bolts
5) Removed blade. Tried the dethatcher blade. Would not fit. Reattached the normal blades.

Now, here is the problem:

When I start the mower it runs fine except for a LOT of vibration - seems like it is trying to shake itself apart!
BUT
When I engage the blades and am actually cutting - no vibration at all! Runs just fine.
Did I overtighten the middle bolt? Any ideas??

Help - the mower has been perfect until I messed with it. Really - this is ALL I did!

Thanks
Terry

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The blades are not located properly on the shaft.

HurstGN

Threads
He said it's perfectly fine when cutting...which would I would think would indicate the blades are in the proper position. The vibration is when the blades are disengaged. That would lead me to suspect the blade clutch has something out of whack by removing the bolt mentioned first. I could be wrong though, I'm not an expert, just applying logic to when it vibrates and when it doesn't.

bogdaN

Threads
I was reading carefully what you did and I think blades are OK,because they bolted with two bolts to blade adapter.Problem is with that middle bolt,some thing is out of place.Try to loose it again and see if that would move and slide in place.

tranchinh

Threads
Hi everyone;

This is my first post. I have a Honda HR217, about 15 years old. Worked great until I messed with it!

Really, all I was doing was trying to put on a dethatching blade. Here is what happened:

1) Turned off the fuel, and tipped the mower over (with the oil drain side down).
2) I tried to take off the middle bolt (which I now know was wrong!). I could not get it to budge.
3) Realized that it does not need to come off. Retightened it (I did not know it had a torque, so I just tightened it as much as I could).
4) Removed the two blade attachment bolts
5) Removed blade. Tried the dethatcher blade. Would not fit. Reattached the normal blades.

Now, here is the problem:

When I start the mower it runs fine except for a LOT of vibration - seems like it is trying to shake itself apart!
BUT
When I engage the blades and am actually cutting - no vibration at all! Runs just fine.
Did I overtighten the middle bolt? Any ideas??

Help - the mower has been perfect until I messed with it. Really - this is ALL I did!

Thanks
Terry

You may not tight up the middle nut correctly .I think the blade is half way engage that make noise ,In order to tight up the middle nut you need another 19 mm wrench hold at flywheel .Loosen that nut out 1/8 inch will make the blade engage all the time and its dangerous