**HELP** Vintage briggs Fires but wont start

L.skynrd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone. I have this vintage Briggs and Stratton 3hp engine that I am restoring. I replaced the old breaker points ignition coil, to the modern electronic magneto coil. After I did that, it started right up and ran perfectly. From there, I removed the carb and gas tank, so I could repaint the engine. I reassembled everything and when I attempted to start it, it would not go. I sprayed starter fluid into the intake, and it would fire slightly, but did not come close to running. I am not sure what the problem could be. I cleaned the carb out. I Have a good spark plug, and new gas. I also replaced the flywheel key, as I misplaced the original one. The oil appears to be clean. I also feel compression. I reused the gaskets, but I am wondering if that may be the problem. I have no idea at this point

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You said you replaced the flywheel key Did you torque the flywheel to specification. I am wondering if the flywheel key got offset or sheared do to improper torque, or contamination on the crankshaft taper that allowed the flywheel to shift damaging the key.

Reusing the gasket could also be an issue, but should at least start and run for a short period of time on starting fluid. A small amount of gas in the spark plug hole would be a better indicator of running condition.

L.skynrd

Forum Newbie
Threads
You said you replaced the flywheel key Did you torque the flywheel to specification. I am wondering if the flywheel key got offset or sheared do to improper torque, or contamination on the crankshaft taper that allowed the flywheel to shift damaging the key.

Reusing the gasket could also be an issue, but should at least start and run for a short period of time on starting fluid. A small amount of gas in the spark plug hole would be a better indicator of running condition.

Thanks for your help. I just checked into what you said, and found the key in two pieces. I will have to get a new key and check the torque specs for the flywheel.

Attachments

• 169121887_3743427492431341_7679053463976257730_n.jpg
    169121887_3743427492431341_7679053463976257730_n.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 2

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
model number should be stamped into the sheet metal around the spark plug.

L.skynrd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can I torque the flywheel without a flywheel installation tool? Or will I have to purchase one.

Attachments

• tool.jpg
    tool.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 0

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Can I torque the flywheel without a flywheel installation tool? Or will I have to purchase one.
will need the tool to put over the clutch and a torque wrench for proper tightness. Something else to look at. Normally there is a washer between the clutch and the flywheel. Sometimes the washer will crack and lead to the same issue even at proper torque.

L.skynrd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ive replaced the flywheel key, and torqued the flywheel to the proper specs. It fires a bit longer, just like it is going to start, but it still fails.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I would get some carb cleaner, or gasoline in a spray bottle, remove the air filter, and see if you can start and keep the engine running by doing short bursts of fuel into the intake.. if you can keep it running that way, Timing, spark and compression ought to be good, and it is probably a fuel delivery issue.