Help re-assembling a Toro push mower pulleys and belts

rdlyn13000

Threads
  • / Help re-assembling a Toro push mower pulleys and belts
Hey guys I live up in the Twin Cities of Minnesota and have a Toro super recycler model # 20487.

So I replaced the 2 belts the other day and put everything back together, I noticed something wasnt right when I put it back together but couldnt figure out why so I decided to give it a test run anyways. It worked fine until I released the handle shutting the blades off, thats when everything went wrong and I heard some awful noises. I shut it down and brought back in the garage and took it apart again, I seen that the pulley on the crankshaft that runs the drive wheels had the 2 nubs sheered off and the stop in the keyway was broken off. So I run to my local parts store and grab a new pulley and re-instal it, there still was something not right but couldnt figure out why but decided to give it a test run again. So of course the same thing happens, now today I picked up a new pulley and havent installed it yet, I need some advice on what im doing wrong here??

The issue I seem to be having is I dont think everything is getting pulled together tight enough when I bolt everything up. When I first got the mower this spring I took the blades off to sharpen them and everything went smooth there. This time since I took everything apart it seems the two nuts are not tightening all the way down on the bolts. The two bolts used to go all the way through the bolts when tight but now I can only get them about half way through the nuts. I hope this is making since, I can try to get some pics up tomorrow.

Anyways does anybody know the order everything is suppose to get re-installed or a trick to getting everything back together? I know it cant be this difficult, if you have any pointers that would be great!

Thanks Eric

rdlyn13000

Threads
Does anybody know of a good lawnmower forum for getting technical help? I really need this fixed thanks...

podor

Threads
I have an older toro with a blade brake, but it appears to be the same. If I remember, there is a keyway in the pulley to hold it on the crank, and the pulley has the nubs. You will have to line up the BBC flywheel with the nubs, then get it seated before tightening the large nut. I used a rubber hammer and smacked the flywheel until it started to catch the nubs, then reassembled. When you tighten it without seating it, it will turn the flywheel and not line up. Make sure the rest of the blade assembly spins freely also. There might be something binding up. Pull the brake shoe away from the drum and without belt tension, the blade assembly should spin somewhat freely. Also make sure the tensioner pulley spins free.