Help Needed - Zero Turn Radius

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That’s my thinking too. The module is sensing that there is no one in the seat.
Or the brake has not fully dissengaged .
This is one job that really needs to go to a dealer unless you are very good with wiring .
It could be a wiring problem but most likely it will be the module.
They go bad all the time but if you buy a new one, install it and the bad wiring blows it or the bad wiring repeats the problems you have spent a lot of money for nothing .

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Or the brake has not fully dissengaged .
This is one job that really needs to go to a dealer unless you are very good with wiring .
It could be a wiring problem but most likely it will be the module.
They go bad all the time but if you buy a new one, install it and the bad wiring blows it or the bad wiring repeats the problems you have spent a lot of money for nothing .
That’s why I said that I could diagnose it, if I could put my hands on it. It’s probably still under warranty.

KM Richards

Threads
I'm looking forward to giving it a proper burial

How much do you think these thongs cost? I found a Toro dealer, but they are about 35 miles away and I'm going to have to rent a trailer to get the mower over there. And, they said they have about a 4 to 6 week backlog right now.

Unless this thing is mega expensive, it would be worth it to me to buy a new module and put it on myself.

I scanned thru the parts list I found online for this model and haven't seen the module.
I'll need to spend more time going thru it more thoroughly to see if I can find the part number

I've spent years working on cars / pickups and can easily find part online at various places such as RockAuto.com

Too bad they don't have an online parts dealer for lawn mowers where you can buy parts online and have them shipped in.

If they have such a place on the net, please let me know

KM Richards

Threads
Or... I could by pass the module like this guy did...

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can order parts online. Find the manufacturers decal or plate. Get the model number and serial number. It’s not going to be MX xxxx. It will a five digit number beginning with a 7. The serial number is next to it. It will be needed because, there may have been some design changes.

gamma_ray

Threads
I have a Toro TimeCutter MX 5475 that is having an intermittent issue that I'm hoping is just a sensor that can be by passed

I can start the mower just fine, but the last couple of times I have used the mower... once I start it up, it dies when I bring the levers in to back out of my shed. It does the same thing if I turn the blades on, it'll quit running immediately.

Not sure what I did really to get it to start working as normal. I just kept bringing in the levers and when it started to die, I'd move them outward again and it would remain running. It took like 5 minutes of messin with it before it started working so I could go mow my yard.

On mine, the steering levers have always had to be all the way out before the engine will start - and I pull them in and can go forward or backward as normal. I just bought the mower last June and it's been working perfectly all the times I've used it - until when I mowed my yard last week, and again today... is when this issue first started happening

Does this issue sound like maybe a sensor is going bad?

Is there anyway to bypass these sensors to avoid this issue?
No sure why this is needed (I'm not gonna cut my foot of or anything :rolleyes: )

If anybody has any thoughts or ideas on what to try, please let me know. Thanks!
It does sound like the seat sensor. It doesn't detect an operator sitting on the mower.

snnoopy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro TimeCutter MX 5475 that is having an intermittent issue that I'm hoping is just a sensor that can be by passed

I can start the mower just fine, but the last couple of times I have used the mower... once I start it up, it dies when I bring the levers in to back out of my shed. It does the same thing if I turn the blades on, it'll quit running immediately.

Not sure what I did really to get it to start working as normal. I just kept bringing in the levers and when it started to die, I'd move them outward again and it would remain running. It took like 5 minutes of messin with it before it started working so I could go mow my yard.

On mine, the steering levers have always had to be all the way out before the engine will start - and I pull them in and can go forward or backward as normal. I just bought the mower last June and it's been working perfectly all the times I've used it - until when I mowed my yard last week, and again today... is when this issue first started happening

No sure why this is needed (I'm not gonna cut my foot of or anything :rolleyes: )

If anybody has any thoughts or ideas on what to try, please let me know. Thanks!
I had the same problem. I did like you, repeating actions and eventually started and kept running. I started using the mower more often and the problem subsided. I'm thinking build up of corrosion over switches. High humidity can do that.

Miss Delivery

Forum Newbie
Threads

The two levers that let you push the mower manually are not engaged, are they? They won’t let you drive but I don’t know about stalling out.

SHB

Threads
On our eXmark there are 3 interlocks related to starting and keeping up running. To start
- PTO off, brake set, think I need to be in the seat
- Motor running, brake needs to be off before you can bring the levers in from the park position, if the brake is on the motor dies. This is what sounds like is happening in your case, it thinks the brakes are on.
- To get out of the seat with the motor running the PTO needs to be off, levers out, brake on

Believe all of this is mandated by the CPSC.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
It does sound like the seat sensor. It doesn't detect an operator sitting on the mower.
The brake control module and seat switch are tied together. The OP said he tried jumping it and it didn’t remedy the situation. Who knows? I could diagnose it in a couple of minutes if, I was there with him. All you have to do is pull the connector of of the seat switch and jump the terminal. Crank the mower and move the steering levers inward. The brake control module should release and you should be able to drive the mower. If, after jumping the seat connector and cranking, the mower shuts down when moving the steering levers inward, the brake control module is bad.

Last edited: