Threads
It looks fine in the photo and the rubber is pliable but fuel is leaking past

Old Needle valve with rubber tip.

P5110003 - this one.jpg

New Needle valve with rubber tip

P5130002 New Vale.jpg

Click for larger pic.

In hind site :redface: I sorry :wink:

I should be able to get er running tip top now without overflowing the bowl, running rich, or leaking my tank empty if I (or Da-boy) forgets to turn the gas valve off after mowing the lawn.

Cheers.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Old Needle valve with rubber tip.

View attachment 14340

New Needle valve with rubber tip

View attachment 14341

Click for larger pic.

In hind site :redface: I sorry :wink:

I should be able to get er running tip top now without overflowing the bowl, running rich, or leaking my tank empty if I (or Da-boy) forgets to turn the gas valve off after mowing the lawn.

Cheers.

Those photos are of float valves -- which controls the flow of gas into the float chamber. The needle valve looks much more like a needle and precisely controls the flow of gas into the carb's venturi. It screws into the carb and the fuel flow is adjustable by turning the screw.

On interchangeability of engines onto decks: you can use any F-series engine on any other F-series deck but it may be necessary to use the adapter for the deck you intend to use. Those classic brick tops were D-series (maybe some C-series also) and I don't know if you can bolt an F-series onto those decks -- easily anyway.

WhyZed

Threads
Those photos are of float valves -- which controls the flow of gas into the float chamber. The needle valve looks much more like a needle and precisely controls the flow of gas into the carb's venturi. It screws into the carb and the fuel flow is adjustable by turning the screw.

Well ya learned me something new today :thumbsup: I had no idea :ashamed:

I was referencing those parts 'by name' from the Online Service Manual, Page 4-30. The official manual calls these parts the "needle valve" and seat.
I'll call Toro and tell them all their manuals are wrong, that we have different names for these now! joke :laughing:

Thanks for the info on the engine/deck.

RJK

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have 2 of these Canadian tire /Lawn boys. The first one my dad bought in 1982 ( I have the original mastercraft manual) . A few years ago I found an identical one in the trash so I took it home thinking it would be good for parts....added some gas and a plug and it started up....so now have two that run. The only problem is that they have a steel deck and my first one had some holes that I had to patch. Found another old 1979 Lawn boy and thought I could use its magnesium deck but motor will not fit on deck.....engine is almost identical except for shroud and gas tank.
Long story short I now have 3 of these 2 strokers and they run great as long as you clean the carb and use good fresh gas and oil mix.
The manual states the needle seat combo is # 681741 but I have used toro number 92-9697 which is the replacement.

Most of the time they do not need a new needle and seat just a good cleaning.
This you tube vid shows your exact carb and how to clean it....Carburetor Cleaning on Lawnboy Lawnmower - YouTube
My first 1982 still has all original carb parts but it does need cleaning especially if you use regular gas that has ethanol.

WhyZed

Threads
I have 2 of these Canadian tire /Lawn boys. The first one my dad bought in 1982 ( I have the original mastercraft manual) . A few years ago I found an identical one in the trash so I took it home thinking it would be good for parts....added some gas and a plug and it started up....so now have two that run. The only problem is that they have a steel deck and my first one had some holes that I had to patch. Found another old 1979 Lawn boy and thought I could use its magnesium deck but motor will not fit on deck.....engine is almost identical except for shroud and gas tank.
Long story short I now have 3 of these 2 strokers and they run great as long as you clean the carb and use good fresh gas and oil mix.
The manual states the needle seat combo is # 681741 but I have used toro number 92-9697 which is the replacement.

Most of the time they do not need a new needle and seat just a good cleaning.
This you tube vid shows your exact carb and how to clean it....Carburetor Cleaning on Lawnboy Lawnmower - YouTube
My first 1982 still has all original carb parts but it does need cleaning especially if you use regular gas that has ethanol.

Yep, this CTC Lawn-Boy has really impressed me. It is so light I can throw it around with one arm..
Was at my buddies on the weekend, she has a bricktop on this chassis in green and she loves it. She calls it her ditch witch. I told her I'd buy it from her and she said "NEVER!" She knows what has there :) she's one smart cookie.

I was hoping to build the model/style I wanted but I've found the same as you - not all motors will bolt up to all chassis.

ESSO Gas Stations is the only one that sell high test with zero corn ethanol in my area.
I have 13 x 2 strokes in my stable and it is the only fuel I'll run in them.

RJK

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was looking at the pics of your mower and someone must have added an after market kill switch. Also the cover on the back is black and should be brown like the tank.
The only thing I have had to replace is a primer bulb and both gas caps.....a squirrel ate the tops off the caps ! Must be something with the oil and gas mixture ! Could not get new caps ...Toro is discontinuing many LB parts but my local dealer took me out back and showed me his huge collection of old LBs he uses for parts and gave me two gas caps.
I am finding the gas is getting very poor here in Ontario and goes bad after a few weeks if you are not using premium. I recently found out that CTC premium does not have ethanol.
I am attaching some pics of the LB collection that my son is using at the cottage with his grass cutting business. The CTC models are good with their larger gas tanks and light weight compared to the green LB. The CTC models should have white pull cord handles, gas caps and primers....you can see some have been replaced with what was available.

Attachments

• SAM_0067.jpg
    SAM_0067.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 8
  • SAM_0068.jpg
    SAM_0068.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 15
  • SAM_0070.jpg
    SAM_0070.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 14

WhyZed

Threads
Very cool Braa!
A wise man once told me to never put anything but high test in any 2 stroke. Since I switched my engines have never let me down. It will still gum up (evaporate) if left sitting to long but the ESSO or CTC (thanks for this) corn free I highly recommend..

The kill switch is indeed not stock. It also functions backwards, in is on, out off.