Help finding the correct Crankshaft for my Honda HRX2174VLA

Threads
  • / Help finding the correct Crankshaft for my Honda HRX2174VLA
I want to give a final update. I was able to replace the crankshaft and flywheel successfully! She started back up on the third pull. Thanks to everyone who gave advice!

wrldtvlr

Threads
Thank you for reporting back. It helps those of us learning and pays back those who teach.

Chris Parman

Threads
I want to give a final update. I was able to replace the crankshaft and flywheel successfully! She started back up on the third pull. Thanks to everyone who gave advice!

We need proof, We need pictures of the tear-down and rebuild. We need a video of the GCV160 running afterwards !!!!! :)

Threads
I didn't stop to take a ton of pictures along the way (mostly since my gloves were covered in oil and carb cleaner) but here's some of the ones I did snap! You can see how bent the shaft is.

I did have two slight issues while taking everything apart. The first one was that one of the two bolts holding the muffler on snapped off right at the edge of its threaded hole. I could feel it twisting as I was loosening and and I knew I should have stopped when I felt that but I didn't. In hindsight I did not need to take the muffler off at all, I was just curious about the entire engine so I stripped it down as much as I could. The bolt is still snapped off in the case and so it a bolt remover that snapped while I was trying to extract it. I may have to drill it out and re-tap the hole. For now the one bolt is holding the muffler on fine.

The second issue I ran into was that the previous owner put the blade mount back on the bent crankshaft incorrectly. The woodruff key was jammed in the channel running up the crankshaft (which is for the belt guide for the self propel action) and not in its correct concave slot on the shaft. I fought to get it off with a gear puller but eventually got it off. When I went to put the blade mount back on the new crankshaft I put the woodruff key in the same (incorrect) slot. It was only after about 5 minutes of hammering that thing as hard as I could when I looked over at the bent crankshaft on the ground and saw the concave slot specifically for the woodruff key. I cursed myself and got the gear puller back out and eventually put that stupid woodruff key in the right spot and the mount slid on the shaft all the way up in to place with ease.

So hopefully there is someone who can use my lessons learned to make their repair easier.

Like my engine stand? ? That was before I built a small 2x4 stand. I was so eager to get the motor apart once it was in my garage.

IMG_1295-min.jpgIMG_1360-min.jpgIMG_1359-min.jpg

Richie F

Threads
I know I missed it.
But how did you bend the crankshaft?
There are videos on how to straighten the blade end without replacing the crank itself.
I am glad you went the correct way.
Peace of mind is a good thing.

Chris Parman

Threads
Richie: Bent PTO repairs the likes of you are describing are rarely successful for the long term because if the PTO is off by the slightest that will put too much load on the Aluminum oil sump shaft area. The only reliable option is to replace the Crank Shaft.

The_Implication: Looks like the previous owner tried to grind down Tree Stumps what that Honda Mower :)

Richie F

Threads
Chris agree with you.
Yes you could use a dial indicator on the shaft to be really close to OEM but who does that.
Grinding tree stumps with a lawn mower is never a good thing. Lol.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

Chris Parman

Threads
Chris agree with you.
Yes you could use a dial indicator on the shaft to be really close to OEM but who does that.
Grinding tree stumps with a lawn mower is never a good thing. Lol.

Somewhat reliable Shaft straightening devices cost (probably) $150 or higher. The cost of a replacement Crank Shaft (depending on the GCV engine) ranges from $25 to $60 (give or take a few cents). I will always oped for the Crank Shaft replacement. :)

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Great job, implication!
I'd still like to introduce Mr. Fist to the face of the engineer who designed that engine..... One piece cylinder head my butt.