Help finding max RPM setting

cuckoochris

Threads
Working on a B&S 31D777-0233-E1, was wondering is someone had the max rpm spec? Thank you

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Straight from Briggs and Stratton, 3,600 RPM

cuckoochris

Threads
Straight from Briggs and Stratton, 3,600 RPM
Thank you!! If you can post that link, that would be great. Not questioning you, just would like to have it for future reference. I did try finding there first, but couldn't find anything.

cruzenmike

Threads
Working on a B&S 31D777-0233-E1, was wondering is someone had the max rpm spec? Thank you

If you reach out to Briggs and Stratton Support and provide them your engine's model number as you have listed here, they will usually provide you a screenshot or image of the specs for your engine via email in 3-5 business days. You will have to specifically ask them for the top no load RPM.

But you must also be careful to not set it too high based on the application. For example, a 21" mower that has the blade connected directly to the engine crankshaft should never be run that high because of safety reasons. The transmissions on riding type mowers have maximum input speeds. You may also check with the manufacturer of the equipment that the engine is being used on to ensure safe and proper operation.

cuckoochris

Threads
If you reach out to Briggs and Stratton Support and provide them your engine's model number as you have listed here, they will usually provide you a screenshot or image of the specs for your engine via email in 3-5 business days. You will have to specifically ask them for the top no load RPM.

But you must also be careful to not set it too high based on the application. For example, a 21" mower that has the blade connected directly to the engine crankshaft should never be run that high because of safety reasons. The transmissions on riding type mowers have maximum input speeds. You may also check with the manufacturer of the equipment that the engine is being used on to ensure safe and proper operation.
Thanks, good to know. This is on a Troy Bilt 42" riding mower. Not sure why, but I had a feeling it was running too fast. I ordered an rpm gauge and checked it today and it was about 3800 rpm. I adjusted it down to 3600 now (no load) and it sounds much better.