Help before I go insane! Drive belt replacement

mhieronimus

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I'm new to the world of riding mowers so I may not get all the parts names/terms right. I picked up a used one, mistake number 1 (wish I had the money to buy new) but it needed a little TLC nothing I couldn't handle though. After replacing the mower deck belt and solenoid it was running and mowing like a champ. We live in the country and have some fairly large and deep ditches. It mowed through them no problem and pulled itself and my fat arse (I'm 6'4" 250lbs) out of the ditches without any hesitation.

Now the other day I was out mowing and on a perfectly flat spot it started chugging and jerking (motor was running fine and blades were spinning fine) then it crept to a stand still while still in gear. I wasn't able to trouble shoot right away but was finally able to take a look at it today.

The clutch idler pulley (I think that's what it is called) was pretty well beat up. I figured that was the problem because the belt looked ok. I ran to the local hardware store and picked up a new pulley, dropped it in and... same thing.

I was actually able to get off of the mower (while having my wife assist me holding the seat down) and the mower still wouldn't go. I looked under the mower and the large pulley on the top of the differential/transaxle the drive belt was slipping right around it! Got the mower in the garage and was going to go ahead and swap the belt... but to my surprise I can't get the dang belt off.

If someone could help me out with finding the model number then I could atleast post the model number. The belt is running around the steering linkage and is kind of interwoven between components in the back above the differential/transaxle... am I better off taking it to a repair shop? I'm fairly mechanically inclined but am not a master by any means.... I just never figured that you would have to disassemble the whole dang tractor to replace a belt... Please HELP!!!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You told us a lot, but forgot the most important thing. Manufacturers name and the model and serial numbers of the unit you are talking about. Can't help until we know what you are talking about.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you can post a pic of your mower I will give you a model number that will work for you.

I am thinking your belt is not the trouble

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
We know its a Murray is it a rear engine?

mhieronimus

Forum Newbie
Threads
You told us a lot, but forgot the most important thing. Manufacturers name and the model and serial numbers of the unit you are talking about. Can't help until we know what you are talking about.

As posted in my original post, I'm not sure what model it is or where the serial number would be located.

If you can post a pic of your mower I will give you a model number that will work for you.

I am thinking your belt is not the trouble

I'm at work and will try and post a picture this evening. What do you think it may be?

We know its a Murray is it a rear engine?

It is a front engine.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You will hate me when I say this , but it has to be said. If you don't know where or how to find a model number, personally I don't think you will be able to replace a drive belr.

mhieronimus

Forum Newbie
Threads
You will hate me when I say this , but it has to be said. If you don't know where or how to find a model number, personally I don't think you will be able to replace a drive belr.

Yeah... Thanks for your "advise". Troll troll go away...

As for the other who have posted and are trying to be helpful... Thank you...

Attached is a photo of the mower.

The model 285707 Type 0113-01 and Code 970512Z can all be found on the engine..... but well that's the engine.

Attachments

• IMAG0043.jpg
    IMAG0043.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 27

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you look under the seat?

mhieronimus

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you look under the seat?

Ahhh there's a white sticker there but everything is worn off of it, no wonder I didn't see it.

lkcutler

Threads
Yeah... Thanks for your "advise". Troll troll go away...

As for the other who have posted and are trying to be helpful... Thank you...

Attached is a photo of the mower.

The model 285707 Type 0113-01 and Code 970512Z can all be found on the engine..... but well that's the engine.

Well we know by the code on the engine it is a 1997 so I would suggest doing a search for murray 1997 lawn tractors by the cut size and try that route it is still most helpful to have the model number but since it is long gone that would be a next step Good hunting