help a girl out!

ARR

Forum Newbie
Briggs & Stratton 31E6770746 B1
regarding the plastic fan above the flywheel: Noticed the fins had busted. (Have had to remove engine housing previously to clean out mouse nests) Removed the flywheel bolt with an impact wrench and replaced the fan. Put everything back together and... something got caught and fins busted again! Bought another fan. It's in place, sitting on top of the flywheel, but before I go any further, wanted to ask: Do i need to tighten the bolt with impact wrench or can i use a socket wrench? And what would your guess be as to a) did I tighten the bolt/screen too much; b) might it have something to do with the engine housing (it's only 4 bolts, but maybe it went on crooked) or c) ???
p.s. i'm new at all this, not very mechanical, but kind of stubborn. As in, from this, I've learned what a flywheel and an impact wrench even is!
thanks.
 
Last edited:
Do not over tighten them, only other part that may do damage is the flywheel guard so just make sure its clear by taking the plug(s) out and turning the engine over to see.
 
First of all the only place to use a impact is to remove the large flywheel nut in the center of the flywheel and NOT to install it. The next thing is I don't understand why you have to remove flywheel to replace the fan? Doesn't the fan just bolt to the flywheel? If you removed the flywheel again just tighten the large center nut with a 1/2 in. drive socket and break bar. All the other bolts just tighten snug with a hand wrench or small socket. I tighten most of mine with just a 1/4 in. drive socket set.
 
Thank you. That bolt was on so tight initially, that i wondered if i had to tighten it just as much. But now i'll just use a socket wrench.
EngineMan, by flywheel guard, do you mean the metal screen on top? And what does "plug" refer to?
Reynoldston: No, I didn't ever remove the flywheel itself, just dealing with the plastic fan.
 
I think EngineMan means the grass cover screwed to the shroud. If the screws holding it on are too long, they may be your culprit.
 
Briggs & Stratton 31E6770746 B1
regarding the plastic fan above the flywheel: Noticed the fins had busted. (Have had to remove engine housing previously to clean out mouse nests) Removed the flywheel bolt with an impact wrench and replaced the fan. Put everything back together and... something got caught and fins busted again! Bought another fan. It's in place, sitting on top of the flywheel, but before I go any further, wanted to ask: Do i need to tighten the bolt with impact wrench or can i use a socket wrench? And what would your guess be as to a) did I tighten the bolt/screen too much; b) might it have something to do with the engine housing (it's only 4 bolts, but maybe it went on crooked) or c) ???
p.s. i'm new at all this, not very mechanical, but kind of stubborn. As in, from this, I've learned what a flywheel and an impact wrench even is!
thanks.

I suspect its the dipstick tube hitting the fan. Make sure you refit the dipstick tube properly. Common assembly error on this model.
 
Post #5 and #6 are right "remove spark plug and spin the flywheel" also #7 could well be spot on...! Sorry for not making it clear for you.
 
Back
Top