HELP!!!! 6 HP Briggs and Stratton won't start

mitch54

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 6 HP Briggs and Stratton on a Craftsman push mower. It quit running on me while I was mowing. I got it started and it ran rough for a few minutes, then quit. Now it won't start. It has a new plug from earlier in the year. It ran for probably 5 hours total this year before it quit. I pulled the plug to look at it and it had black soot on it. I cleaned it off and it tried to start a couple of times but wouldn't stay running. I just changed the air filter (it was BAD!!!) and primed it 5-6 times. Tried to start, fired momentarily, then nothing. Don't really want to take it in. The plug was gapped properly. Any suggestions? Another new plug? My yard hasn't been mowed in 3 weeks!!!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
May need to clean the carb, especially the jet in the bowl nut, if you have that type of carb. If you have the diaphragm between the carb, and the tank then replace the diagphram. the carb will warp at the tank, allowing the edge of the diaphragm to get sucked under the carb, which causes a rich run situation.

I suspect that there is a piece of dirt in the bowl nut get though.