Hello from the Piedmont, I'm New but my Scag Isn't

ken_clifton

Threads
  • / Hello from the Piedmont, I'm New but my Scag Isn't
Thanks for all the good information. I bought my Scag Tiger Cub new back in 2008. It has seen a lot of use mowing around 8 acres.

My first mod to the mower started when I noticed the hydraulic oil smoking sometime during the first year. I put a small power steering cooler on it then. That helped a lot, but this year I decided to make the hydraulic cooler match the new engine oil cooler. Both are now Tru-Cool B7Bs.

I have had a continual battle for eight years with the air filtration on the Briggs 27 HP Intek. It used the oval filters, most of which were defective -- leaking if you look through the hole at the ends of the paper pleats. I had brand-new genuine Briggs filters that leaked from day one. Tried NAPA, with the same results. Finally used Stens for a while but checking the inside of the plastic air box would always disappoint me.

I decided to upgrade to the new round air filter, and ordered a new shroud, and hardware, but then found the EC Carburetors 4040 aluminium air box elbow and the rest was history. Now running an AEM Brute-Force filter with a dry-charger. I still think that a paper filter is better, so I am currently working on a system to use the EMPI 9001 air filter soon.

I put several photos in my public album at: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/members/ken_clifton-albums-my-tiger-cub.html

Thanks again,
Ken_Clifton

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

That sounds like quite the battle!

NorthBama

Threads
I like your filter it looks like a great improvement over the original. Welcome to the forum

ken_clifton

Threads
I like your filter it looks like a great improvement over the original. Welcome to the forum

Thanks NorthBama,

The dry charger over the outside of the filter really helps -- most grass and big trash just falls off and I never see it. The actual filter stays very clean. Unlike with the OEM Briggs which had forced air, grass clippings and dust from the engine blower being pushed with pressure right into the filter. I had to clean the foam prefilter on the OEM every time I mowed.

AEM makes some good non-oiled reusable, washable synthetic media filters. A lot of testing has been done. Interesting that most tests show the paper filters still filtering out the smallest particles. For commercial mowing a canister is the best, but a good inexpensive paper filter even if I change it twice per mowing season is still around $13 (2 @ 6.50) if I can get the AC A152C or NAPA 4055 filter assembly working.

Best,
Ken_Clifton

NorthBama

Threads
Great thanks for your input interesting material.