hello anyluck on rebuilt engine with broken connecting rod

SLCCT

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / hello anyluck on rebuilt engine with broken connecting rod
I am new to this site
Wanted to know if anyone has had luck rebuilding a engine with a broken conecting rod
Its a 13 hp kohler cv13
only damage i see is the crank has some metal from the conecting rod on it should come off with some sand paper.

Thanks

scott47429

Threads
yeah i did this last spring i rebuilt a 8 horse B&S on a Snapper RER that broke a rod and bent a valve everything was fine other then that but i pulled it down lapped the valves hones the cylinder and put new rings and new rod and replaced the bent valve and its still going its on my brothers snapper just look real close to the block make sure it didn't put a hole or crack in the side of the block good luck

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I've done it more times than I can remember. I suggest that you do a full rebuild if you decide to do it, as long as you have it apart. Piston, rings, gasket set with seals, tune up the valves and rebuild the carb. Make sure you know why the rod broke, so it doesn't happen again. If you go to the Kohler website you can download a service manual to help you.

SLCCT

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the good info (lol) i cleaned it up and the only damage was the crank had some of the connecting rod stuck to it cleaned it up with some sand paper. It broke because the rings were shot and i was burning oil like crazy was trying to get thru the summer almost made it. Anyway it got a little low on oil i think. Have new rod and piston and rings with gasket set on the way. Hope all goes well.

SLCCT

Forum Newbie
Threads
All back together everything good so far

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Back when I first started in the trade I tryed to do that with some car engines but never had one work out OK. So I have never tryed it again on any engine any more. I always have the crank shaft turned down in a machine shop. It look like it is done all the time with good luck so I hope you the best. As for myself I will keep doing it the proper way and have a machine shop do that type of work.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnMowerForum!

I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair forum. :smile:

chance123

Threads
I am new to this site
Wanted to know if anyone has had luck rebuilding a engine with a broken conecting rod
Its a 13 hp kohler cv13
only damage i see is the crank has some metal from the conecting rod on it should come off with some sand paper.

Thanks

DO NOT USE SAND/ABRASIVE PAPER! The crank to con rod clearences are "VERY" critical! Take an old empty quart motor oil bottle cut the top off leaving about 3 inches from the bottom. Cut a "V" on each end so the crank will set in the V while the crank "pin" (for the con rod) will be "IN" the bottle. Pour in muratic acid (swimming pool acid) to cover the crank pin. The acid will eat off all the aluminum that was fused/transfered to the steel crank, while leaving the crank virtually "untouched".
If you do this with abrasive, you are bound to remove some steel too.

Jeep Man

Threads
I'm glad I ran across this forum, I have learned some great tips.

chance123

Threads
I just read that you already sanded off the aluminum. If you "really" want to know what your clearance is "now", get some "plasti gage" and just snug tighten the new rod cap with the plasti gage sandwiched between the rod and crank. No need to torque now. Then remove the rod cap and look at the plasti gage, and with the color chart, match it to the color your plastic gage has turned. A reference chart is provided to match color to clearance.