Headlights quit working, craftsman 917 series

Jessa

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will follow all of the advice given so far. I did suspect the solenoid was not correct because it was slightly different. I just can't remember how, exactly. One difference, the old one was mounted by two bolts and the replacement only had one bolt but with a hook to hold in place in the second hole. This should not matter but I do recall asking about it. The terminal connections may have been the same though.

I will check the ground coming off the ignition directly to the lights and trace the A1 and A2 lines.

Thanks for everyone's input but it may be tomorrow or later before I get a chance to look into it again.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The new solenoid you installed should work fine in your unit.

Threads
I'll bet you did not get the correct switch, but one where the lights and PTO terminals are reversed. There are so many switches out there that it is very common for people to get the wrong one, if the parts guy does not ask a lot of questions.

Yep to many different switches.

Jessa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yep to many different switches.

I just wanted to end this thread by adding the solution. I added another ground wire connection to the original ground wire of my harness near the location where the wire exited the light bulbs. I simply cut and soldered an additional wire, covered the connection with shrink wrap and mounted the other end under a bolt on the frame with the proper fitting on the end. Headlights now work fine.

I meant to add this note months ago, but I had to replace one of the other switches again and it reminded me of this. This mower mechanically has been great. On the electrical end, it has not been good. I have had to replace the brake switch which prevents it from starting once and the switch that prevents the mower from cranking if the blade is engaged twice. And I have had to replace the switch under the seat once as well. This is in addition to the ignition and solenoid which may have not been necessary.

Thanks for everyone's help.