HD ZT transaxle

bullet bob

Threads
I bought a HD ZT 60 with 105 hrs. First ZT. Read the owners manual. Found the levers which engages the transaxles. Didn't matter if it was pushed in or pulled out, always engaged. And he hadn't replaced the oil and filters either so I drained and refilled/replaced engine oil & trans. oil, hoping that might make a difference. Nope. I can pull the levers out and still have power to the wheels. No unusual noises. Just as if I had never pulled them out. Ever heard of something like this?

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have seen the releases stick in the engaged position and don't move to the release position. The types that have the springs that are connected between the release and the pull lever on the most common with issue since you can't force the movement by just pulling the levers. The other issue could be somebody has had them apart and forgot to reinstall the release wedge.

bullet bob

Threads
Is this something I can readily see by getting under the machine, or literally tear into the transaxle? Not too wild about the latter!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The release rods should be connected to a short arm either on the side of or top of the transmission that pivots when either the rod is pushed or pulled. Make sure those are moving when put into the bypass position.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
if both hydros do nothing be sure to check the drive belt. Only thing common to the hydros is the drive belt. If the belt is good and the bypass rods and levers are working and ot in the bypass position you got priblems with both hydros.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
if both hydros do nothing be sure to check the drive belt. Only thing common to the hydros is the drive belt. If the belt is good and the bypass rods and levers are working and ot in the bypass position you got priblems with both hydros.
I believe the issue that the OP is having is they will not go into free wheel position so he can either bleed the hydros after the oil change, or is trying to roll the mower by hand.

Just something else for the OP to consider is make sure you are releasing the parking brake before trying to roll the mower. Parking brake could be a control lever or could be on the individual Z turn handles in the outward position.

bullet bob

Threads
FYI, the mower is powered whether with the transaxles engaged or not engaged. The engage/disengage lever does nothin. ie. won't freewheel

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I believe the issue that the OP is having is they will not go into free wheel position so he can either bleed the hydros after the oil change, or is trying to roll the mower by hand.

Just something else for the OP to consider is make sure you are releasing the parking brake before trying to roll the mower. Parking brake could be a control lever or could be on the individual Z turn handles in the outward position.
Oops, my mistake. I thought he said the wheels were always not powered.