HD ZT engaging blades

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks guys. No, the deck is not hitting anything. Guess I'm just used to my Cub garden tractor with a very smooth clutch. Run WOT and engage the blades - smooth take-off. Totally different with this thing. And no deck rattle. Just that nasty sudden 'impact' when engaging. Have thrown the belt once already. Guess I'l keep starting 'er at low idle. Thanks guys. BTW, great forum.
It is a play off between shock loading of the deck & belt and shock loading of the engine.
Check that the tension pulley arm is free to move.
IT is there to take up those sorts of shocks but they do get stuck .
JUst did a Timecutter where the pivot hole had elongated to double its length so could now swing properly.
Result was 2 broken belts two days running.

radiomix

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just purchased a ztx 52 (first zero-turn) and the dealer told me to engage the blade at full throttle. He said that engaging at low throttle had more of a chance of throwing the belt.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most owners are too lazy to do this, but I always engage the blades at the height setting where all the pulleys are in line.
On most mowers this will be the mid height point and belts that are running strait rarely throw off.

Last edited:

Ken22

Threads
Most owners aqre too lazy to do this, but I always engage the blades at the height setting where all the pulleys are in line.
On most mowers this will be the mid height point and belts that are running strait rarely throw off.
Good point. Going to check that out.