Hard Start Cub Cadet w/ Kohler Courage 20 hp

T-Ray

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Cub Cadet w/ Kohler Courage 20 HP (2014) engine has problems starting. It cranks (cold) until it hits the first compression stroke and then stalls. The starter will not crank it past the compression stroke. Eventually by backing the crank off from the compression stroke and keep trying it may start. Once warmed up it starts OK. I have jumped it from my truck and even replaced the battery but still have the problem.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would start with checking and adjusting the valve clearances. also please provide us with the model and spec number from the engine so we have more of a reference of what engine you have.

Bertrrr

Threads
Could be a starter issue

T-Ray

Forum Newbie
Threads
SV601-3212 S/N 4401010093

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Valve clearances out of spec. Faulty compression release on the camshaft or starter issue are all possible causes of the start problem.

MowerNick

Threads
If the starter is original i would try replacing it. the new kohler original will look different. The drive will lookmore like a briggs starter. I change a ton of those.

T-Ray

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out. Everything on the engine is original.

catbob2024

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had that issue with my Cub Cadet, 2006 model. I did all of the usual checking of valves, new plugs,etc. and didn't help. I went through all wiring connections and cleaned them, battery terminals, grounds, starter connections, everything I could think that could effect the starting. I did buy a new battery with the highest CCA. It's been 3 years since and I haven't had a problem, just my experience.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Those engines have a compression release on the cam gear. when you adjust the valves turn the engine over by hand and watch the vaves to see if the exhaust valve bumps open just before it hits tdc. If not the compression release is bad,

T-Ray

Forum Newbie
Threads
Those engines have a compression release on the cam gear. when you adjust the valves turn the engine over by hand and watch the vaves to see if the exhaust valve bumps open just before it hits tdc. If not the compression release is bad,
That makes sense. I have been wondering how valve lash could cause the problem. I assume the CRV works by centrifugal force. I have also learned that the exhaust valve guide can extrude outwards causing failure of proper opening. I will pull the valve cover and inspect the valves guides and adjust the valves on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for the information.