Engine gvc hONDA 160 LEAKING FUEL THROUGH EXHAUST

Grass Hunter

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am taking care of my son in laws yard while he is away on an extended vacation.

I used his awesome GVC 160 mower twice. The first time I didn't have time to clean it. It worked wonderfully. The second time I cleaned it and may have destroyed it. I want to cry just thinking about it, not because i'm a a touchy feely kind of guy...it's just I don't have $600 to replace it.

When I cleaned it, I turned it on it's side, scrapped out all the grass residue and rinsed it with water on the bottom. I then wiped down the surfaces and washed the outside of it. Is that when I destroyed it?

I started it this morning and it was smoking profusely so I turned it off. It didn't start again. It's full of fuel. The switch for engine flow is fine. The air filter is fine. I think my son in laws rachet set is metric because I couldn't find a fit for the spark plug nut to look at it? I need to know what size it is and what type it is because I will have to go down and buy one at the automotive store.

I think the plug may be fouled because there is gasoline coming out of the exhaust pipe and it's not starting. Please help me before my son in law comes back and I'm never heard from again!!

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am taking care of my son in laws yard while he is away on an extended vacation.

I used his awesome GVC 160 mower twice. The first time I didn't have time to clean it. It worked wonderfully. The second time I cleaned it and may have destroyed it. I want to cry just thinking about it, not because i'm a a touchy feely kind of guy...it's just I don't have $600 to replace it.

When I cleaned it, I turned it on it's side, scrapped out all the grass residue and rinsed it with water on the bottom. I then wiped down the surfaces and washed the outside of it. Is that when I destroyed it?

I started it this morning and it was smoking profusely so I turned it off. It didn't start again. It's full of fuel. The switch for engine flow is fine. The air filter is fine. I think my son in laws rachet set is metric because I couldn't find a fit for the spark plug nut to look at it? I need to know what size it is and what type it is because I will have to go down and buy one at the automotive store.

I think the plug may be fouled because there is gasoline coming out of the exhaust pipe and it's not starting. Please help me before my son in law comes back and I'm never heard from again!!

Right stop worrying as prob no damage done.
Check oil level and fill if required with a 10w30 or 10w40 multigrade oil.

Now the reason its smoking is because as iys been on its side oil has migrated to the exhaust.
Start mower and let it run until smoke disapears.
Should be good to go.

In future if cleaning underside then tip it back and put a weight on handles to hold it in position.

primerbulb120

Threads

I clean mowers with a pressure washer all the time, so I don't think you've hurt it by cleaning it with a garden hose. :smile:

1. Take off the air filter. If it's full of oil, clean or replace it.
2. Move the mower to a clean, flat surface and try to start it. (If you start it in the grass, dust may go into the engine since the air filter isn't there.)
3. If the mower starts, run it for about 15 seconds and then put the air filter back on.
4. If the mower won't start, take out the spark plug and inspect it. The spark plug should be an NGK BPR6ES and you will need a 13/16 socket to remove it. If it's fouled, clean it and re-install it. Try to start the mower again.

If it still won't start, report back with the results and I will give you some more things to try.

primerbulb120

Threads
Right stop worrying as prob no damage done.
Check oil level and fill if required with a 10w30 or 10w40 multigrade oil.

Now the reason its smoking is because as iys been on its side oil has migrated to the exhaust.
Start mower and let it run until smoke disapears.
Should be good to go.

In future if cleaning underside then tip it back and put a weight on handles to hold it in position.

It's okay to tip a mower on its side for cleaning. Just remember to tip it so that the air filter and carburetor are pointing up.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's okay to tip a mower on its side for cleaning. Just remember to tip it so that the air filter and carburetor are pointing up.

Yes but for general public who are not sure then tip back is easier.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes keep it simple.
Trip the handles then tip the mower bakwards .
most will sit this way quite hapily if not put a brick on the handlebars.