Guys who have painted aluminum decks question ?

22R

Threads
What kind of prep work did you do ? I am down to the metal on mine. Do I need to sand the aluminum smooth before priming ? Any good tips for a quality paint job is appreciated.

Thanks,
22R

robinb66

Threads
As long as you have the deck totally clean(free of old paint oxidation dirt and the such)you should be ok to go. If you are worried about the smoothness of the paint job use a primer that works with the base coat your using. Take your time and leave at least 6 to 8 inches between the can nozzle and the deck move at a steady pace from left to right keeping the nozzle at the same distance, follow the curvature of the deck. Spray on coat evenly and then let it dry, before adding the other coat, DO NOT LET THE CAN STAY IN ONE PLACE FOR ANY AMOUNT OF TIME OR YOU WILL GET DRIPS AND RUNS. Try to keep the can moving at all times. This should help you obtain a lovely finish.

jp1961

Threads
I picked up a small can of spray paint from Ryder's hobby shop. It's called Tamiya Color (TS-22 light green), it's a very close match to Lawn-Boy green. You may need two cans to paint a mower deck. Plastic coat made small cans of spray paint called "odds and ends", they had a color similar to Lawn-Boy green, but I can't find these for sale anymore.

Phototone

Threads
I picked up a small can of spray paint from Ryder's hobby shop. It's called Tamiya Color (TS-22 light green), it's a very close match to Lawn-Boy green. You may need two cans to paint a mower deck. Plastic coat made small cans of spray paint called "odds and ends", they had a color similar to Lawn-Boy green, but I can't find these for sale anymore.

Most paints are not resistant to gasolene, and will dissolve where you drip gas, or from drips at the carb or fuel lines. The only paint I have found to be resistant to gas (when dry) is High Temp engine enamel. Fortunately the "Grabber Green" color, which is a close match to original Lawnboy color is readily available in Engine Enamel at almost all Auto parts stores.