GTX 20 Dies After 30 Minutes Of Use

fndrbndr

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Troy-Bilt GTX 20 seems to be having some kind of fuel issue. It starts up fine when cold, runs/mows great for around 30 minutes...and then dies out. It seems like the engine is starving for gas when this happens (even though the tank is nearly full). Playing with the choke will sometimes bring it back to life for a while longer, but usually we have to let it cool off completely before we can get another 30 minutes or so of use.

I changed the fuel filter, but that didn't resolve the problem. Any ideas what might be causing the problem and how I might be able to fix it myself?

fndrbndr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes...sorry about that. It's a Kohler CH20 (OHV), identical to this one:

post-1331-132893750287.jpg

Attachments

• post-1331-132893750287.jpg
    post-1331-132893750287.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 3

MowermanUK

Forum Newbie
Threads
Obviously diagnosing an engine fault over a forum is difficult without hearing/seeing the failure, so we rely on passing experience in order to try help others so here you are with what my experience would tell me. I don't think it's a fuel issue because of the amount of time till failure, it sounds like an ignition fault to me, I'd put a new plug in it, if that doesn't solve it the next stage would be an ignition coil, I'd put my money on the plug personally

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And I will give you the exact opposite information.
I have seen exactly the same thing with a lot of 2000 series Cubs.
Crud in the fuel tank plugging off the fuel outlet.
Or as previously intonated
Ignition module breaking down as it gets hot.

Test for fuel by hooking up a temporay fuel tank gravity fed directly fed into carb.
No difference then it is most likely the ignition module.
Problem goes away then most likely tank/ pump problem.
To verify hook up an in line plug tester ( neon tube type ) where you can see it while driving the tractor.
Watch what happens as the engine dies.

fndrbndr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies and advice. Spark plug replacement is easy enough, and honestly, probably overdue.

If the problem turns out to be crud blocking the fuel inlet, what's the best way to fix that?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check by elimination ( rig up some alternative fuel supply ) before you start.
The only way is to pull the tank and clean it out.
You can do a temporary alliviation by removing the gas cap & blowing some compressed air back up the line but eventually add the crud will settle back around the outlet and make a plug.

Mowers with mechanical fuel pumps seem to suffer more from this than gravity feed or impulse pumps.
PIA to pull it out but worthwile in the long run.
While the tank is out check for casting fins which can catch the gunk preventing it from making it to the fuel filter.
Some have gone as far as to drill out the outlet slightly larger to free up the flow.