Growing grass in the Poconos?

hurst1979olds

Threads
I live up the mountain in the Poconos. I have somewhat sandy soil, but if you dig down about 12" its like clay. Pretty rocky soil as well. I have alot of crab grass, and clover. I have a Full acre and the majority is sun, but the shady parts has alot of tree cover.

How should I tackle this? What would be a good kind of grass go with?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Give your county extension agent a call. They will tell you best grass for your region.

Last edited:

hurst1979olds

Threads
This is what I have for grass. Very patchy of difference grass. I hear a kentucky bluegrass is good but I'll do more research.

Attachments

• 20140818_192820.jpg
    20140818_192820.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 8

hurst1979olds

Threads
Choose the right grass seed for Pennsylvania lawns | PoconoRecord.com Tablet Edition

This was a good article I found. But it talks about different varieties and I'm still confused. The majority of my back yard is sunny. The sides of it has alot of trees. The back gets morning sun. The front is pretty well afternoon sun. Minimal trees. The front is flat and drains pretty good. The back is sloped and also gets drainage.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Another good choice for a sunny lawn is tall fescue, a drought-tolerant, low-maintenance species. "Buy a good quality, 'turf type' tall fescue from a reputable dealer," he says. "Stay away from the variety Kentucky 31. Most people are dissatisfied with its large, coarse clumps.