Groundhog Problems

ReggieDeere

Threads
I friend of mine has a serious problem with groundhogs. They are tearing his garden to pieces eating whatever they like. Problem is he's one of those guys that doesn't like to hurt animals. Anybody have an idea to a humane way to get rid of these rodents?

JimmyWeb

Threads
The only humane thing that I can think of would be for him to put a fence of chicken wire all around his garden. Make sure he buries it 12"-18" below ground though, because otherwise it will be a waste of time. I hope this helps your friend.:smile:

danny57

Threads
There is a humane trap that you can purchase that will allow you to catch the critter and then safely haul it out in the country and turn loose. These can be purchased at Tractor Supply or Farm Supply stores. You place bate such as carrots, apples, etc. in the cage and when the groundhog enter to get a free meal, he trips a spring that closes the back door and he is trapped. Just be aware that other critters (skunks, possoms, rabbits, etc) sometimes are caught as well. It is a perfectly safe and harmless for the animal and you. It causes not ill effects to the animal.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is a humane trap that you can purchase that will allow you to catch the critter and then safely haul it out in the country and turn loose. These can be purchased at Tractor Supply or Farm Supply stores. You place bate such as carrots, apples, etc. in the cage and when the groundhog enter to get a free meal, he trips a spring that closes the back door and he is trapped. Just be aware that other critters (skunks, possoms, rabbits, etc) sometimes are caught as well. It is a perfectly safe and harmless for the animal and you. It causes not ill effects to the animal.

ASK FIRST - most farmers and many others will not appreciate you dropping off a groundhog (woodchuck) on their property ! Their holes are known to break horse and cow legs and break tractor axles and damage other equipment as well as cause a big jolt if the hole is hit without being seen. :thumbdown:

JimmyWeb

Threads
That's a very good point, I am against catching and releasing animals elsewhere because it causes such problems for others. Maybe you should explain to your friend that he would be creating a problem, and maybe he'll look at it in a different way. I'm completely against cruelty to animals, but a pest problem should be dealt with properly. Not pushed onto others.:thumbsup:

ASK FIRST - most farmers and many others will not appreciate you dropping off a groundhog (woodchuck) on their property ! Their holes are known to break horse and cow legs and break tractor axles and damage other equipment as well as cause a big jolt if the hole is hit without being seen. :thumbdown:

jimbo64

Threads
22 magnum-----HEAD------QUICK AND CLEAN--WE USED TO PLANT 5 ACRES OF CABBAGE AND THESE GUYS COULD DESTROY MORE PLANTS THEN ONE CAN COUNT IN ONE EVENING:rolleyes:

jpalasek

Forum Newbie
Threads
I agree with jimbo 22 Mag. The problem is there are more and more every year.

dcgrazier

Threads
I know someone who use the humane trap to catch the groundhogs and then he has been trying to teach these groundhogs how to swim. So far, none of the groundhogs have learned how to swim. He is determined to keep trying though.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I know someone who use the humane trap to catch the groundhogs and then he has been trying to teach these groundhogs how to swim. So far, none of the groundhogs have learned how to swim. He is determined to keep trying though.

Teaching them to swim while still in the trap ??? :confused2:

JimmyWeb

Threads
LOL. If he keeps that up long enough, they will probably evolve to be able to swim before long. I prefer my .22 rifle to take care of the problem though.:wink: