Gravely ZTR 60

Robert Jordan

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Gravely stalls about five minutes after I engage the clutch, after setting about three minutes it will start and run. It will run just fine with out the blades turning. Has anyone had this problem? if so what would be the fix.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Splutters & stops like it is running out of fuel or stops dead like you have turned it off ?

Robert Jordan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Splutters and stops like it's running out of fuel, I stop the blades, cut back on the RPMs it acks like it is trying to run but ends up just shutting down. After about 1 or 2 minutes it will start back up and run good as long as the blades are not turning.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Or running on 1 cylinder
Fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel tank full of crap, or running on one cylinder, yep. Pull one spark plug boot before starting and see how it runs, repeat process with pulling other spark plug boot. Listen how the engine sounds.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Or he can have an electric PTO that is partially shorted and overtaxing the charging system and the fuel solenoid drops out. Good batteries can self recharge to a point that sometimes you can restart the engine after 15-30 minutes. Still pretty flat but just enough to it. I have personally seen this on a couple JD mowers. But most times a flat battery is a flat battery.

As a precaution I would do either current draw or ohm out the electric clutch. It should not be drawing over 7 amps in a worst case or be below 1.7 ohms. Normally these draw 3-5 amps and are usually above 2 ohms.

Robert Jordan

Forum Newbie
Threads
The electric clutch appears to be the issue, the belt jumped off. I will replace the clutch and see if it works better. Thank you for the information.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
The electric clutch appears to be the issue, the belt jumped off. I will replace the clutch and see if it works better. Thank you for the information.
The belt jumping off the PTO clutch doesn’t mean it is defective. Without ohming out the clutch, and checking for amp draw, you are simply making an educated guess/parts cannon firing.
However, this is how many people do it, and also some mechanics. If you don’t know how to test a clutch, that is understandable, I am not knocking you personally.

Robert Jordan

Forum Newbie
Threads
You are correct I do not know how to perform the check of the electric clutch, I cannot afford to take it back to the gravely shop, they have drained me of all the funds available. Carburetor, fuel pump, ignition coils, replace fuel lines, complete tune up. Now remove the gas tank and clean it out. I’m not able to transport it to the shop that cost is $100.00 one way. I will be on my third trip, that cost could buy another $295 clutch.

The reason I said I would replace the clutch I can get the clutch from another Gravely with a FR730V Kawasaki engine and install it on mine, that engine blew up because the plug touched the piston and burnt a hole in it.

I guess you can tell I’m a gravely die hard, I grew up in the 40s and gravely was the best you could buy. Thangs change.