Gravely ZT2048 left transaxle problem

dvantuyl

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was mowing today a little longer then usually and its about 100 degrees here. I noticed the left lever wouldnt do much. I shut the blades off and tried going forward and back with the left lever and it made a ton of growling and kinda shuddered and wouldnt hardly move the mower. I want to check the fluid first but have no idea how. Any ideas??

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Can you see anyplace it may have leaked hydraulic oil?
You may have built up enough heat to thin out the oil to the point that the bypass is not allowing enough pressure to run the wheel motors... Let it cool and see if it is not all better... :smile:KennyV

dvantuyl

Forum Newbie
Threads
It did start working after it cooled off but I was only mowing for about 30 min when it started happening. It still has a little bit of a growl. The transaxle is dry on the outside but I would like to change the fluid in both sides if anyone has any ideas on how to do that.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm not sure about Gravely but a lot of those have a pair of pump motor combination drives made by Eaton... It should say on it somewhere, with that information you could look it up at the drive manufacture web site.

You should also check that it is clean and gets good air flow as it is designed to shed heat from its entire surface.
Don't know about your area but my little slice of Kansas got to 102 degrees today... hard to keep things cool... :tongue:KennyV

dvantuyl

Forum Newbie
Threads
This one has the Hydro-Gear and I cannot find ANYWHERE the procedure for changing the fluid or even checking it. The only access I see is the vent hose which im sure it has something to do with that.

dvantuyl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok.......im posting this in case someone else has the same issue. I finally found out how to service the transaxles. The best way to get ALL the fluid out is to take off the bottom pan (the bolts wanna break so be sure to spray them down). The recommended fluid is 10W-30 full synthetic. Fill by removing the vent tube and pouring down vent hole. When full the fluid should be between 1" and 1 1/2" from the top. Purging is not manditory but to do this pull back both free wheel rods (the ones you pull out to push the mower) and move the steering levers forward and backward 3 or 4 times.