Gravely ZT XL vs Country Clipper Wrangler

dwalberta

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All,

I'm just looking for some advice/opinions.

I have an acreage with approxmatly 2-3 acres to mow. Last year was the first year for our lawn and we cheaped out and bought a box store model lawn tractor, which after impressing us greatly with the first cut, then managed to die completely after the 3rd cut... After finally managing to return the product, still unfixed and after the end of the mowing season, we have decided to go with a zero steer mower.

I have it down to 2 choices both at about an equal price of $4000 Canadian

1.The Gravely ZT XL 48
24hp Kawasaki FR Twin
6.5mph top speed
Aluminum spindle housing
1" dia. steel spindal shaft
16,800 blade tip speed
Twin stick steering
3yr limited consumer warranty

or

2. The Country Clipper Wrangler 48
22hp Kohler Courage
7.5mph top speed
Cast Iron Spindle Housing
1.4" Cold rolled steel spindal shaft
18,000 fpm Blade tip speed
Joystick steering
2yr warranty

The country clipper also has a flip up front deck to access for maintanince.

Any thoughts on which is a better buy?

Thanks

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF....
Not familiar with the mowers... But I do like Cast Iron Spindle Housing & the largest spindle shaft you can get... Also like the higher blade tip speed on the heavier spindles.
Are there any differences in the hydraulic drives?
:smile:KennyV

dwalberta

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks KennyV,

The Country Clipper has a Twin Hydrostatic EZT listed as the transmission and the gravely has a Hydro-gear ZT-2800 Tansaxles listed.

What do you think about the motors? With the Kawasaki being a twin do you think it would have a longer lifespan?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Those are both lighter HydroGear units here are the specs ...
Hydro-Gear - Single Axle Transaxles - ZT-2200 EZT
Hydro-Gear - Single Axle Transaxles - ZT-2800

They are in a lot of homeowner type machines... the 2800 looks to be a bit larger... If not stressed either could last ...
Myself I like the separate pump motor systems, that are intended to get regular fluid &filter changes...but they are normally seen in much heavier equipment...
HydroGear makes a lot of pump/motor combination's.... I think keeping them cool will be the most important thing you could do to improve their longevity..
:smile:KennyV

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I'd go with the Gravely as I've heard many good things about them here :thumbsup:

txzrider

Threads
will you be the person that shapens the blades and does maintenance to the deck? If so you really need to check out the deck on the Country clipper... it slides right out from under the mower to service it. That being said I keep hearing that the kawasaki engine is a very good choice. I bought the smaller decked version and so far I am more than satisfied.