grasshopper sucks oil into breather

Just my observation but the Briggs Vanguard 18hp gas V-Twin engine combined with the 718 seems to have a high percentage of engine troubles. I have seen a good number of 718's with the Briggs meet an early demise, I'm not sure if it just coincidence or that combination was just not good.
 
BWH, is suspect the reason behind it is. Some of the grasshoppers tend to have a lot of grass/debris thrown up in the engine area, That stuff get in and reduces the air flow that cools the engine. It was one of the major contributing factors for the problems with the Kohler Triad OHC engine on the grasshoppers and walker mowers.
 
BWH, is suspect the reason behind it is. Some of the grasshoppers tend to have a lot of grass/debris thrown up in the engine area, That stuff get in and reduces the air flow that cools the engine. It was one of the major contributing factors for the problems with the Kohler Triad OHC engine on the grasshoppers and walker mowers.

Your absolutely right! I have seen that in a number of mowers block off the fins and it will scorch the cylinder.

I am still somewhat leery of the 718 with the Briggs I've seen head gaskets as well give up, but again your theory of lack of maintenance is probably a good one.

I ran a Briggs 14hp V-Twin for over 1200 hours and it was still a great running machine when I sold it, Maintenance! Maintenance! Maintenance!
 
Back
Top