Grasshopper Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

maggerdews

Threads
Got the new Grasshopper the end of May and like it more all the time. Mow about 2 acres and it does the job in about half the time of my old JD 332 (an admirable work horse BTW). Bit of a learning curve as this is my first zero turn, but I'm getting the hang of it. Straight mowing is still a challenge so trying to figure out a technique that will get me straight while going fast. Look forward to reading and posting on the forum!

MBDiagMan

Threads
I am answering the invitation to introduce myself.

I am new to the Grasshopper world, but not new to ZTR's. I bought a 253 hour 725K2 yesterday with 61" deck, Power Vac and dump from seat hopper. It has been generally extremely well cared for except the original owner evidently did not know that the spindles have grease fittings. It was so noisy you wouldn't believe it and two of the fittings were so rusted I couldn't get them to take grease, so I replaced all three spindles last night.

I have the oil draining out of it right now, but hope to fill it up with oil tonight, grease my new spindles and mow with it. I have mowed a little with it and really like the front mount deck and the way it maneuvers. I do all my own maintenance and repair, so I like the layout of the machine very much.

I mowed the past 8 years with a Bad Boy which is a durable and reliable machine, but driving it is like driving a one ton truck compared to the Grasshopper which is more like my old Mercedes SLK Roadster.

I look forward to discussing mowers and lawn care with all you guys,
Larry

Threads
I am answering the invitation to introduce myself.

I am new to the Grasshopper world, but not new to ZTR's. I bought a 253 hour 725K2 yesterday with 61" deck, Power Vac and dump from seat hopper. It has been generally extremely well cared for except the original owner evidently did not know that the spindles have grease fittings. It was so noisy you wouldn't believe it and two of the fittings were so rusted I couldn't get them to take grease, so I replaced all three spindles last night.

I have the oil draining out of it right now, but hope to fill it up with oil tonight, grease my new spindles and mow with it. I have mowed a little with it and really like the front mount deck and the way it maneuvers. I do all my own maintenance and repair, so I like the layout of the machine very much.

I mowed the past 8 years with a Bad Boy which is a durable and reliable machine, but driving it is like driving a one ton truck compared to the Grasshopper which is more like my old Mercedes SLK Roadster.

I look forward to discussing mowers and lawn care with all you guys,
Larry

Welcome to LW, Larry! :welcome:

Raege

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I'm Raege, and I help to run a lawn care business in Iowa. I am a professional type of mower in a small town type of setting. We have two Grasshoppers, 325D's with 61" decks. We got our first one, this is our third full season with it and I don't think I would switch to another brand. Also, our local dealer is one of our customers so that always helps with our loyalty lol. Anyways, I've run these machines a lot. I myself put probably close to 500 hours on the machine in a season so I know them well. As far as other models go, I'm more of a fan of the midmount than the frontmount, but my expertise is with the 325D.

Have a great one!

Hustling

Threads
Just bought a low hour 2005 Grasshopper 722D w/ 61' Deck and a 60" snow blade. I mow about 4 acres of my own and 2.3 of an elderly neighbor. I have plowed snow with a Z for about 5 years - it is awesome to see a Z push snow. Can't wait to see the Grasshopper do some drift busting.. any advice on chains or snow pushing setup on a grasshoppa is appreciated.. also advice on where I could find a PDF of an owners manual.

grasshopper721d

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I'm new to the Forum and checking in for the first time.

I'm the second owner of a 1996 vintage Grasshopper 721D with 970 hours total time. The previous owner babied it and it's a beauty. However, it will no longer be stored in a climate controlled shop as before, but outside in the cold, at least for a season. I'm concerned about cold starting a diesel and plan to install a soft plug heater. One seller on e-bay offers these for $50 shipped. But before I buy, I wanted some input from the forum if anyone knows which model number Katz heater is the correct one for the Kubota model 722-E diesel engine in this machine?

Anyone have experience installing the Katz soft plug heater in a 721D?

For instance, which soft plug does Grasshopper suggest the heater be installed?

What is the best method to remove the soft plug?

What wattage heater does Grasshopper recommend? I live in IA where OATs can reach 25 degrees below zero and this machine MUST start so I can blow the snow.

A local man suggested using a magnetic oil pan heater. Does anyone have experience with one of these and how it performs compared to a soft plug heater? Has anyone tried both?

I can't find a Grasshopper part number for a soft plug heater. Does anybody know if Grasshopper offers a specific part number for a Katz soft plug heater?

Thanks

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello, I'm new to the Forum and checking in for the first time.

I'm the second owner of a 1996 vintage Grasshopper 721D with 970 hours total time. The previous owner babied it and it's a beauty. However, it will no longer be stored in a climate controlled shop as before, but outside in the cold, at least for a season. I'm concerned about cold starting a diesel and plan to install a soft plug heater. One seller on e-bay offers these for $50 shipped. But before I buy, I wanted some input from the forum if anyone knows which model number Katz heater is the correct one for the Kubota model 722-E diesel engine in this machine?

Anyone have experience installing the Katz soft plug heater in a 721D?

For instance, which soft plug does Grasshopper suggest the heater be installed?

What is the best method to remove the soft plug?

What wattage heater does Grasshopper recommend? I live in IA where OATs can reach 25 degrees below zero and this machine MUST start so I can blow the snow.

A local man suggested using a magnetic oil pan heater. Does anyone have experience with one of these and how it performs compared to a soft plug heater? Has anyone tried both?

I can't find a Grasshopper part number for a soft plug heater. Does anybody know if Grasshopper offers a specific part number for a Katz soft plug heater?

Thanks

You can check with your local Kubota dealer... they stock the block heaters for the D722E engine. About $30... the removal of the plug is as simple as driving one side in until it turns 90 degrees, then grab hold of the side that came out and pull. If you have room to use a slide hammer, that will also remove it, but is Not necessary.
The instillation instructions are in the attached pdf file.
Using a heater will help it start quicker, But is Not going to be a Necessity... A good diesel fuel for cold weather is More important because a gelled fuel will not pump. I have never had a diesel with working glow plugs fail to start.
The oil pan heaters are not worth having, they are Very low wattage. If you really want a heater get an in block or lower rad hose type... either one of those will be 400 watt... and with that tiny engine will heat it up in less than an hour. :smile:KennyV

Attachments

• D722BlockHeaters.pdf
    585.4 KB · Views: 13

OUTDOOR CONCEPTS

Threads
We are a Outdoor power service/sales/parts and landscaping center. Grasshopper is out best line. We all love the machines! We do mostly front mounts in our area but we do have a few commercial cutter running mid mounts. 930D is my personal weapon of choice!

PTWhopper

Threads
Bought and acreage 5-mos ago. No way am I mowing 2.5 acres that has a combination of 85 tree and bush obstacles with a garden tractor. I borrowed a couple of mid-mount ZTR's to finish out the mowing season and fell in love with the design. I have spent many hours researching the best fit for the dollar. I keep coming back to the Grasshopper front mount for the major reason that it is a 4-season design with a very good customer satisfaction record.

I will be posting "advice requests" in another forum.

Great to see this venue out in the Ether!!!

bwkemp

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased a used woods 5215 (1992?) From what I can tell it is a grasshopper 721D It has the 722 diesel engine 61" deck, and need (needed) some work. The frame inbetween the hydrastats was broke so i had to disassemble it to weld it back together. I replaced a leaky seal and 0-ring on the hydrostats (771 gemini) while I had it out. It is very used (bought from golf course) with 2800 hours on it. Runs good, newish tires, needs a battery, and some more tlc.

I got the mower/deck along with a good seat (couple years old) a couple extra new spindles some old quick disconnect pto shafts for the driveline. I paid $200 for the mower and figure I will have $400 and 15 hours in it by the time I have it up to par with new fluids/battery and all the little stuff.

Not that I really needed it for 3/4 of an acre (does have 50 trees or so), but I figured for the price I couldn't go to wrong.

I'll try to get some pics later
Brian