Grasshopper Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

Tobster117

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey All,

I'm new here and joined up to seek a little help, mother inlaw has a Grasshopper 321D that I've got to troubleshoot a post fire electrical fault, confident I've already fount the issue but I'll post more details in the main threads. I've also got an ancient push mower which I hope someone can help identify, all I know is its a Villiers "pull start" so to speak but you actually wind the handle and push a lever to get it to start.

I uploaded a picture but I'll keep the push mower questions out of the grasshopper board.

Cheers,
Toby

Attachments

• 16722873411546556260058646753870.jpg
    16722873411546556260058646753870.jpg
    688.6 KB · Views: 2

amowingfool

Threads
GREETINGS to all Grasshopper mower owners! 👍

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name 😆). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Grasshopper owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Grasshopper mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Grasshopper stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.
Just acquired in trade a vintage GH mower #1822 with deck #6152
I also have a Big Dog, A Hustler, A Husqvarna and an Ariens Tractor

ljms

Threads
Hi All, I am not new here but have gotten the weekly updates and have read a lot of the postings. I have asked questions on here before so I am not totally new.
I have a Grasshopper 524V-42 that I bought new last year. After two summers worth of mowing I have come to several conclusions about this mower, some good, some not so good. My previous mower was a John Deere F710 front mounted mower. I bought that used in 1995, and used it every year until 2020 when the deck gave out and I could no longer keep it patched. My search for a replacement deck after many years was unsuccessful so began my search for a replacement. I posted on here several times inquiring about a replacement and some of the concerns I had. My son has a 54" Cub Cadet Ultima and I used that for one summer and found it to be a good mower other than two things. One the frame is so stiff that my lawn which has it's share of uneven surfaces did not look as nice as the job my John Deere did. The second problem I found was working on the deck. At 69 years old then, removing the blades was hard and removing the deck harder.
I had seen many of the commercials for the Grasshopper and the ability to raise the deck for easier access was a very attractive feature. And the advertised "fastest lawn mowing" looked promising. So when I went to the dealer to do some research they talked them up pretty well. I mow about an acre of grass and much of it is around trees, bushes and flower beds so the 42" seemed like a good fit. Now to what I find as good in this mower. The option to raise the deck for cleaning and service. This is really a very nice feature, even better than my John Deere F710 which you could raise the deck but you had to raise it anf lower it on blocks to keep it raised for under deck access. Next nice feature is the quality of the over all build. It is built with very substantial material and as long as one keeps the under side of the deck clean and services the engine it should last a very long time.
And now for the negative. With the 42" width the deck does not extend out past the width of the wheels and does not allow for mowing right up to ditches or even fences very well. It requires a lot more sting trimmer work. Maybe a bit different engineering, but maybe nothing more could be changed. And the major negative and if I had had an opportunity to run this on my property, it would have been a game changer and I would not have purchased the mower. The skid plate under the deck drive belts hangs up constantly on the slightest high spot and high centers, requiring one to stop, raise the deck to it's highest position and move forward or backward as needed. My lawn has too many of these areas. I can't even mow along the edge of my gravel drive way due to the crowning of the driveway. Never had that problem with any other mower I have used. Anyway that's my experience with my Grasshopper. Have any of you had similar problems? Ihope this posting isn't too long and thanks for reading.
LaVern

bobojay

Forum Newbie
Threads
Been a member for several months doing a lot of reading.
Have a bought new 2000, 225-52 with a Kohler Command 25hp. Just made 1000 hours this summer with it and also had 2 major problems show up. A frame crack on the left rear wheel/hydro mount "box", and a BIG oil leak in that hydro which had to be rebuilt at a cost of $550.+. First non maintenance issues ever.
Overall pretty satisfied, but it's showing its age....