Grasshopper 614 with Kohler engine

Park8084

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I was changing my oil on my mower today and broke the oil filter adapter on the mower. It is a chintzy plastic piece the filter rests against. Went to my local implements dealer who also services Grasshoppers and after a few calls they say the Kohler motor is no longer made and they can’t get parts. I did a bunch of research today but can’t find anything. Anyone have any other resources I could try? Thanks. Kohler OHC 18 HP engine. Model TH575S. Spec 54515

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That engine has been out of production for close to 20 years. It was Kohler's first attempt at lost foam casting technology and it was a disaster projects. Main reason it was discontinued was the the upper half of the crankcase, the cylinders and the heads were cast as one piece. Because of this the cylinder liners had to be press fit into the cylinder from the lower end instead of being cast in like most engines. When the engine got hot in Grasshoppers and Walkers the liner would work itself downward until it got low enough for the top ring on the piston to get above it which would then pull the liner down into the crankcase breaking the rods.

Park8084

Forum Newbie
Threads
That engine has been out of production for close to 20 years. It was Kohler's first attempt at lost foam casting technology and it was a disaster projects. Main reason it was discontinued was the the upper half of the crankcase, the cylinders and the heads were cast as one piece. Because of this the cylinder liners had to be press fit into the cylinder from the lower end instead of being cast in like most engines. When the engine got hot in Grasshoppers and Walkers the liner would work itself downward until it got low enough for the top ring on the piston to get above it which would then pull the liner down into the crankcase breaking the rods.
That's exactly what the implement dealer service tech told me. I'm assuming I am screwed and will have to either replace the motor or just get a different mower altogether.

Thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
TH575-54515 is listed as Kohler TH18-54515 MORIDGE MFG. 18 HP (13.4 kW)

But yes the engine is at least as old as 14 years (IPL date Rev 10/26/2006)

Also the oil filter adapter 28 029 07-S (early version) or 28 755 19-S (late version) is NLA but you can search appropriate PN to see anyone has one as New Old Stock but my search didn't find anyone having it in stock. Serial break is before 2805000001 for the early version and after 2805000011 for late version.

Park8084

Forum Newbie
Threads
TH575-54515 is listed as Kohler TH18-54515 MORIDGE MFG. 18 HP (13.4 kW)

But yes the engine is at least as old as 14 years (IPL date Rev 10/26/2006)

Also the oil filter adapter 28 029 07-S (early version) or 28 755 19-S (late version) is NLA but you can search appropriate PN to see anyone has one as New Old Stock but my search didn't find anyone having it in stock. Serial break is before 2805000001 for the early version and after 2805000011 for late version.
I was able to find one online and order it. Thanks

Park8084

Forum Newbie
Threads
UPDATE After ordering the part from Power Mower Sales, I received an email confirmation saying I would be notified when shipped. After hearing nothing for 3 days, I emailed them asking for a shipping update. I received nothing in return. I was finally able to call them during their business hours (they are east coast time and I am central so by the time I got off work they were closed). I was put on hold for about 15 minutes before I was finally able to talk to someone. I asked about my order and was met with a rude response that the part was no longer available and I would have to get a refund or do something different, then hung up on. No reason why I wasn't contacted about the lack of availability, or the fact my order was cancelled. I proceeded to email them asking for a refund asap and so far have been met with nothing.

So my plan at that point was to use JB weld to fix the part. I also thought I would hit the local small engine repair shops with the hail mary plan of finding a solution. We only have 2 places like that in town, so my options were extremely limited. First place I went to, the guy was helpful but had no solutions. Stopped at my local Runnings and grabbed some Loctite epoxy to use, and hit the last place. After talking to their top mechanic, he lead me to a back room and said he was familiar with that engine and remembered working on that particular model. In the back room, there were a whole lot of small engines and parts on shelves and the floor. After much searching, he finally found that model of engine and it had the exact part I needed. However, he believed they had repaired that motor and he thought I would have to buy the whole motor just to get the $20 piece of plastic I needed. He brought in the shop owner and asked him about that motor, and he basically said it was junk, even if it was repaired it was still junk and that I could have the part for $15. To say the least, I was pretty happy. Got the part, went home and installed it, and was able to mow my lawn.