grasshopper 614 hydro fluid

david944

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought a 1996? grasshopper 614 with the 44" deck with bagger/vacume. The hydros both seem kinda "tired" or slow going up hills. I believe the belt is tight enough so im going to change the fluid. My pumps dont seem to have filters like my 720k did just individual tanks on top of the pumps. Their both really low on fluid and awful dirty so i want to change the fluid. Question is and i cant find anything specific on 614s what can i put in that i can buy locally without having to drive an hour do our closest hopper dealer? Will any hydro fluid work? Ive seen some can take just a synthetic motor oil? Will that work on my application? Thanks for replies!!!

BWH

Threads
With the hydro's a bit weak I would suggest to order and have the Grasshopper fluid shipped to you. It really makes that much difference.

Very Serious!

david944

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks man, ive pondered it long enough. I guess tomorrow or friday im just gonna make the drive and go get some. Im going to use it to much to risk anything and the hydros seem sketchy enough allready. I dont think their both going out at the same time, if u try to go full speed it wont do it. ITS SLOW and sometimes the wheels will stop in a bind going up a incline. Ive read where the belt is sometimes not tight enough on this model, guess im going to have to check into that too.

1dmbhonkey

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 616 was doing the same thing I changed the hydro belt (1/2 x 37") and tightened the tensioner about 1/4" and it made a huge difference.... I still need to change my fluid too (wait till you price them filters, $73 a peice!!!)