Grasshopper 223 Zero Kohler 2 Cylinder No Start Condition

grasshopper guy

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Grasshopper 223 Zero Kohler 2 Cylinder No Start Condition
I last used the mower a couple of months ago without issue. Went to start it last week and it cranked, but would not start. I am not a mechanic, but I do know the an ICE needs 3 things to run - fuel, spark and air. I know the engine has air and spark. I also know that the fuel pump is pumping fuel to the carburetor. However, I disconnected the fuel line that runs from the fuel pump to the carburetor on the fuel pump side and blew into it. There seems to be a lot of back pressure, more than I think the fuel pump could overcome. When I pour fuel directly into the carburetor the engine fires up and runs until it runs out of fuel. That makes me think there are no issues with safety switches and the carb is not getting fuel from the fuel pump. This mower is approximately 18 years old and this is the first problem I have had with it. Any ideas what the problem may be and what the solution is. Thanks for any help.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Usually it is the choke not closing all the way
The fuel pump has chck valves in it and the carb has a float valve in it so if the bowl was full the valve will be closed
Most will hold 10 PSA which s a lot more pressure than most can blow