Governor lever hitting flywheel?

franchi

Threads
Hi Again:

I found the correct replacement for a flywheel for my model 5239 that is equipped with a D 408 engine. The problem is now the governor lever is rubbing on the bottom of the flywheel when the engine is turned over. It is rubbing right at the crease tht is provided for fine tuning the speed. The orginal flywheel worked great but was replaced due to having a crack in the keyway.

Could this be caused by the rest of the governor parts being "worn out"? I can not see how the new flywheel is any different than the old one since they both have the same part number! I guess that I could sand the bottom of the flyweel enough to prevent this, but would this be a good idea? I remember that there was something that held the governor lever down away from the flywheel. Could this be the key that is not holding the entire assembly down like it used to?

What is the problem?????

Tia,

Franchi

Fireman 123

Threads
Could be a slim chance that the attachment on the carb where the governor rod goes has 'flipped' up too high. It will be completely vertical, with the hole on the top side. You will have to manually 'flip' it back down in proper position. It has happened to me before. Good luck.

franchi

Threads
Yes, I know that trick about pushing the rod that connects the governor lever to the carb trick! Lol

I came to the decision that all that I would have to do is to bend the governor lever down slightly to miss the flywheel. It must have gotten bent when one of the governor weights came off. I began to bend it slightly but must have put a tiny bit of pressure on the crease wher one is supposed to make fine adjustments on the governor lever as the governor lever snapped like a glass rod at that point!. My lucky day!!! Lol. Time for some metal filled epoxy!!!

I will "glue" the g.l. today and let it harden in a warm place for a couple of days.

Let the good times roll!

Franchi

Fireman 123

Threads
Just be careful because bending it down too much will lower engine speed.