Engine govenor

John E.

Forum Newbie
Threads
have cub cadet model 127 with Kohler engine. how do I know where to set the govenor to get the max. power with out blowing the engine up?

ironhorse

Threads
have cub cadet model 127 with Kohler engine. how do I know where to set the govenor to get the max. power with out blowing the engine up?

3800 rpm top no load speed, 3600 under load is where these should be set, so you'll need a tach to know where your at.:smile:

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Seeing that you do not post a Kohler model number, I would not set the no load speed at no high that 3400 RPM's. If it is a Kohler Courage engine I would reduce that to 3200 RPM's. I am assuming that you have a good quality tach and you know how to adjust the governor. The only Kohler engine that I know of, that run high than 3600 RPM's were the old K-series.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have found a few hundred RPM one way or the other isn't going to make much different in the life of your engine. I would say set it on the high side. But make sure you set it with a tachometer not by ear.

John E.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Seeing that you do not post a Kohler model number, I would not set the no load speed at no high that 3400 RPM's. If it is a Kohler Courage engine I would reduce that to 3200 RPM's. I am assuming that you have a good quality tach and you know how to adjust the governor. The only Kohler engine that I know of, that run high than 3600 RPM's were the old K-series.

you are right, it is a Kohler engine, model K301A. thanks for the information.