Gotta make a trimmer decision

skiman

Threads
Ive worked on both...if you want the torque power to cut thru the heavy tall grass...hands down the stihl FS91R 4mix engine is the best choice...plus they are way more environmentally friendly because they dont allow up to 30% of raw gas to escape into the atmosphere...it does a complete burn like a regular 4 stroke engine...you can run it around 1/4 to 1/3 throttle and cut as well as 3/4 throttle of and echo with much more cut control...wont get away from you when edging like a higher reving 2 stroke needs to be at for similar torque cutting power...they are heavier by about a pound because of the overhead valve setup...the stihl 4mix engine still uses a 2 stroke gas mix...has ono oil sump to lube the engine...the 2 mix gas is circulated thru the engine to lubricate the puston bearings lifters valves and cam gear with compression release...

Last edited:

skiman

Threads
Go Battery and forget mixing fuel....r
technology isnt there...especially with thick or wet grass which happens with weather not cooperating...cant always choose ideal and have the battery last half as long or less...

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Go Battery and forget mixing fuel....r
All depends on the application. Do you need a Prius or a truck? Not every situation is the same. I have 4 acres all bordered by farm land. I go through a couple tanks of gas with an FS80 when i trim. Battery doesn't work for me. My son has 1/4 acre in town. Battery works fine for him. One size doesn't fit all.

sofasurfer

Threads
Thanks for all your input, you guys. I guess I'll be going to the store and handle them to see whats comfortable and weigh that along with the price.

sofasurfer

Threads
This is a policy of Stihl I don't like as most of the carburetors are easily repaired when parts are available but Stihl has a controlling interest in Zama now so Zama must bow down to Stihl decisions. I once could buy the repair kits through my Zama distributor. Now those Stihl only carburetor parts must be purchased thru Stihl which refuses to provide to the dealers so my dealer can't even get them now except for whole carburetors.
The price for a carb doesn't seem so bad vs the hassle of rebuilding one to me. Probably different if your working on a lot of them.

sofasurfer

Threads
Ive worked on both...if you want the torque power to cut thru the heavy tall grass...hands down the stihl FS91R 4mix engine is the best choice...plus they are way more environmentally friendly because they dont allow up to 30% of raw gas to escape into the atmosphere...it does a complete burn like a regular 4 stroke engine...you can run it around 1/4 to 1/3 throttle and cut as well as 3/4 throttle of and echo with much more cut control...wont get away from you when edging like a higher reving 2 stroke needs to be at for similar torque cutting power...they are heavier by about a pound because of the overhead valve setup...the stihl 4mix engine still uses a 2 stroke gas mix...has ono oil sump to lube the engine...the 2 mix gas is circulated thru the engine to lubricate the puston bearings lifters valves and cam gear with compression release...
Good and useful info. Thanks.

skiman

Threads
The price for a carb doesn't seem so bad vs the hassle of rebuilding one to me. Probably different if your working on a lot of them.
there are aftermarket kits to rebuild the stihl carbs...ive also purchased the sftermarket carbs with very little issues...maybe 2 out of 100...

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
there are aftermarket kits to rebuild the stihl carbs...ive also purchased the sftermarket carbs with very little issues...maybe 2 out of 100...
Oh wish there were more kits as I don't like replacing $100 carburetor just because I can't get a kit. Used to get kits under $15 to rebuild these. Yes older carb kits are available in aftermarket but not for the newer ones like the 4147/25 carburetor on the FS240.