Got my first snowblower

Nice job, but I hope you don't want to use it soon. If the unit has grease in the auger gearbox no need to replace unless you see evidence of water contamination. If it has oil, drain and put in a good 80-90 gear lug. Fill until it just starts running out in it's normal position.
 
Yea, I definitely don't want to use it soon :) There's a drain plug on the auger gearbox but no fill plug... go figure. I was thinking that since this beast is about 20 years old and has obvious evidence that it sat out in the elements for many years, it would probably be a good idea to change it out. Plus I have some spare 90w-140 that goes in my tiller gearbox. Video will come later today.
 
The drain plug you are talking about is the fill hole, according to your initial post pictures. That is where t he lube will run out as I stated previously. As I said I don't know if you have grease or oil. Stick a screwdriver in that hole to tell.
 
I stuck a nail in and it came out with what looked like oil/lube. I stuck the cone nozzle of the gear lube in and squeezed until it started running out (snowblower is level) and put the nut back on. I think I'll run it for a bit and then drain it out and put some more fresh stuff in. Might be overkill but oh well :)
 
Grease zerks, easy, wipe off with dry towel and add grease. No need to clean unless plugged. Sorry this old fart doesn't do YouTube, someone else will have to tell you how it sounds.
 
Looks Good Sounds Great, you should have a lot of hours of snow throwing with that...
Rivets has you covered on everything...
Grease it up with a moly, that stuff will not wash away with melting snow, your all set for Winter... :smile:KennyV
 
Pull the shear pins before you grease the auger zerks. Make sure it will spin free on the inner shaft, work it back and forth on the inner shaft as you grease it. Make sure it is free before putting the shear bolts back in and make darn sure you use proper shear bolts.
 
Thanks guys. Good tips on greasing. Truth be told, I still have yet to get a grease gun, but I will! The shear pins, I don't know if they're original or not. They're painted black but would it just be best to buy new ones? Are they all the same or do I have to get a specific torque or something?
 
Back
Top