Got a good lesson in lawn care; and it kick my *****

lewb

Threads
  • / Got a good lesson in lawn care; and it kick my *****
My next door neighbor is in Europe for 2 weeks. We have identical yards about 5000 sq ft. He has 8 flower beds, and has never edged his sidewalks and curb. I have 4 flower beds and I edge my sidewalks every cut with a trimmer. It takes me about 45 minutes to cut mine, 30 minutes if I really push my self. Both lawns have a 30 degree slope in the back half of the backyard.

I figure I should be done in 1 and 1/2 hours. No even close, took me over 2 hours. Cutting the edges was way more work than I planned. I have a homelite with a pretty small tank, first time I ever ran out of gas with a full tank. Part of that excessive gas use was the choke was partially on and I did not realize it. His lawn is very thick and cutting those edges proved very challenging. I got it done and it looks really good, I took my time so I would keep the gap from side walk to grass the same on both sides. Then I had to deal with all the flower beds as well as the house perimeter. Needless to say I was not ready to run the trimmer as long as I did. Mowing was not too much of an issue until I had to tackle the slope. I always cut mine at an angle. My self propel goes right up the slope with very little effort on my part. The issue I had doing both hills was the 40 times I had to up and down in 90 degree heat. When I finished I had a hard time walking up my deck as it felt like my legs were made of lead. Now that I have done both the next time I should gain some efficiency especially edging. Grant it I am out of shape for sure but I have much more respect for guys that do this every day.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Now think about doing 15 in a day.
I can push mow all day long but use the trimmer for 10 minutes and I am done for the day.

primerbulb120

Threads

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
My trimmer is a custom built Homelite straight shaft. When it's warm, I can start it with 4 inches of starter rope. It weighs less than any commercial trimmer and I'd take it any day over a Stihl. :biggrin: I'm not exceptionally strong, but I've never gotten worn out using the Homelite, even after 20+ minutes of trimming. :tongue: Read about it here: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/36459-My-2016-Lawn-Equipment-Lawn-Care-Thread/page2

We use toro trimmers. I love them light and plenty of power. Trimming just tears my back up.

lewb

Threads
My trimmer is a custom built Homelite straight shaft. When it's warm, I can start it with 4 inches of starter rope. It weighs less than any commercial trimmer and I'd take it any day over a Stihl. :biggrin:

I'm not exceptionally strong, but I've never gotten worn out using the Homelite, even after 20+ minutes of trimming. :tongue:

Read about it here: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/36459-My-2016-Lawn-Equipment-Lawn-Care-Thread/page2

Nice job on the custom trimmer, My homelite runs well, I notched the low speed adjuster on the carb so I can adjust with a screw driver, I have played with it and now have the throttle response right there and starts much easier as well. I also put a e3 plug in that seemed to make a difference from the standard plug. The only part I do not like is the head, but I am just a home owner so no big deal to stop and manually feed line.

lewb

Threads
Mowed both lawns again yesterday in 90 degree heat. I did a little calculation on how many steps it takes to mow the hill. It takes 10 to 12 steps and approximate 40 passes to complete each hill. 1/2 would be 20 uphill passes. 30 degree is pretty close to most stairs. Doing both yards is like walking up 40 flights of stairs (approx). The scene from Ghost Busters when they have to walk up the stairs to fight the evil spirit comes to mind. I had to stop yesterday on the neighbors yard, the lawn boy was set on 2nd gear which was pulling up the hill too fast (with his trees in the back I left the hill as one section, so I went up and down right after another, normally I include the hill with the entire back yard so I have time to recover). About 3/4 of the way through the hill I almost pass out. I had to take a 30 minute break before started mowing again. When finished the hill I set the LB on 1. The duraforce is fast in 2nd and 3rd. 3rd is 4 mph speed, almost too fast. Once I regulated the hill speed I was much better.

primerbulb120

Threads
Nice job on the custom trimmer, My homelite runs well, I notched the low speed adjuster on the carb so I can adjust with a screw driver, I have played with it and now have the throttle response right there and starts much easier as well. I also put a e3 plug in that seemed to make a difference from the standard plug. The only part I do not like is the head, but I am just a home owner so no big deal to stop and manually feed line.

Get Homelite part number 309562007 for your head. Only $3.85 from Jacks Small Engines! It's a bump feed head, but you can reload the line without taking the head apart. I have one on my Homelite and love it!

It doesn't come with the bump knob, so you may need one of those as well. $4 at Jacks.

primerbulb120

Threads
We use toro trimmers. I love them light and plenty of power. Trimming just tears my back up.

I have a Toro, but I still like my Homelite better. :smile: It's lighter and better balanced than the Toro.

Why does trimming tear up your back? Is your trimmer's shaft too short?

primerbulb120

Threads
Mowed both lawns again yesterday in 90 degree heat. I did a little calculation on how many steps it takes to mow the hill. It takes 10 to 12 steps and approximate 40 passes to complete each hill. 1/2 would be 20 uphill passes. 30 degree is pretty close to most stairs. Doing both yards is like walking up 40 flights of stairs (approx). The scene from Ghost Busters when they have to walk up the stairs to fight the evil spirit comes to mind. I had to stop yesterday on the neighbors yard, the lawn boy was set on 2nd gear which was pulling up the hill too fast (with his trees in the back I left the hill as one section, so I went up and down right after another, normally I include the hill with the entire back yard so I have time to recover). About 3/4 of the way through the hill I almost pass out. I had to take a 30 minute break before started mowing again. When finished the hill I set the LB on 1. The duraforce is fast in 2nd and 3rd. 3rd is 4 mph speed, almost too fast. Once I regulated the hill speed I was much better.

I wish I had a self propelled mower that went too fast! :rolleyes:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a Toro, but I still like my Homelite better. :smile: It's lighter and better balanced than the Toro. Why does trimming tear up your back? Is your trimmer's shaft too short?

Always has. No matter what trimmer I use.