Export thread

Good fix for wheels?

H

H20loo

Anyone want to share your fix for wobbly wheels. I have used up my supply of good wheels.

tom3

tom3

Have taken a strip of aluminum flashing material and made a bushing for the inside of the all plastic wheel. Roll it around the bolt to get it to size. Might need to ream out the bore a little bit, need lube every so often. A strip of brass might do it better if you have it.

J

jp1961

Hello,

A better fix might be to use a sintered bronze bushing if the plastic wheel has enough meat to do so. I think better hardware store sell these bushings in various sizes.

Drill out the wheel and press in the bronze bushing.

Regards

Jeff

2smoked

2smoked

Hello,

A better fix might be to use a sintered bronze bushing if the plastic wheel has enough meat to do so. I think better hardware store sell these bushings in various sizes.

Drill out the wheel and press in the bronze bushing.

Regards

Jeff

Here are some photos of this method I submitted in a post from 8/17. The wheel hole was drilled out with a 5/8 inch bit.

Attachments

H

H20loo

Thanks everyone. I will try the sheet metal first and look for the bronze bushings at the hardware store Wednesday.. There is little worse than wobbly wheels.
Doug

I bored out the wheels on my old 22" MTD, & pressed in some sleeves I had laying around.

The sleeves are made outta bronze. Still working good, I do pop off the wheels at service time & grease the axle bolts. It ain't rocket science..

L

Lawn-Boy Rocky

Folks,
My brother did a nice job of drilling out my four wheels to 5/8" (as mentioned above) and pressing in bronze bushings from True-Value. Nice and "true".

DSCF0374.jpgDSCF0373.jpgDSCF0370.jpgDSCF0375.jpgDSCF0369.jpg

Rocky

Folks,
My brother did a nice job of drilling out my four wheels to 5/8" (as mentioned above) and pressing in bronze bushings from True-Value. Nice and "true".

Rocky

Rocky- Better than store bought new wheels for sure.. :thumbsup:

Mow'N Weeds

Mow'N Weeds

I'm assuming the felt-type spacers for these wheels are nothing available anymore?
Would a copper sleeve suffice vs bronze? I ask because I have various small pcs laying about that could be used as such.
I have one 19-in with these style wheels and they are in fact, wobbly and it bugs me. I had planned on looking into a cause and fix for the issue.

Copper will work fine, but likely will wear quicker being softer.. But if you use it post up how it is doing, I have a lot of copper as well..

L

Lawn-Boy Rocky

I'm assuming the felt-type spacers for these wheels are nothing available anymore?
Would a copper sleeve suffice vs bronze? I ask because I have various small pcs laying about that could be used as such.
I have one 19-in with these style wheels and they are in fact, wobbly and it bugs me. I had planned on looking into a cause and fix for the issue.

I would just go with the bronze at ~$2.50 a corner instead of copper.
And yes my updated set-up still uses the factory felt washers in place.
Rocky

J

j-jock

I have used copper tubing to re-bush many worn out lawnmower wheels. It works great. I just get tube to match the OD of the mounting bolt, cut to length, and drill out the wheel so that the bushing is a light press fit.
I had one mower where I literally wore out the tread and the bushing was still tight. I do start the year by pulling the wheels apart, clean, then grease them.
Bob

L

Lawn-Boy Rocky

The problem folks get into when boring out the plastic hub center is with be concentric with the wheel/tire assembly. I've seen bushed wheels with horrible wobble, some in both directions (X & Y). Even drill press boring can get "off" and causes issues. Minor off-centering at the bolt hole translates into major/visual wobble at the tire. If available, a three-jaw chuck on a small lathe is still the best bet as shown in previous post pictures.
Good luck,
Rocky

True, but not like you are push mowing at 40 mph..