getting signal to new solenoid, still won't engage starter

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / getting signal to new solenoid, still won't engage starter
If you have a starter mounted solenoid and it just clicks when you turn the key, with a new solenoid, you either have a bad ground somewhere, a bad solenoid or a bad battery. Take a voltage reading at the starter, testing for voltage at both the small wire and the large wire, with the key in the start position. You should have 12+ VDC at both terminals.

cbs123

Threads
  • / getting signal to new solenoid, still won't engage starter
If you have a starter mounted solenoid and it just clicks when you turn the key, with a new solenoid, you either have a bad ground somewhere, a bad solenoid or a bad battery. Take a voltage reading at the starter, testing for voltage at both the small wire and the large wire, with the key in the start position. You should have 12+ VDC at both terminals.
Yes, it would seem you are right. But...I can touch the solenoid with a small guage wire connected to the positive post of the battery and it cranks very easily. Which tells me the battery, solenoid, starter, and ground are all good. It does get 12v to the solenoid when I turn the key also.

A very weird problem that is luckily no longer MY problem. lol