Getting Paint off Vinyl

Hershey

Threads
Does anyone know how to remove spray paint from a vinyl floor? Is there a way? We made a goof on a project and now have paint there. I don't suppose it would wash off? LOL

rmancini

Threads
There's a product called "Goof-Off" made just for removing paint job "mistakes".
I'd buy the smallest amount available and try it in a small area to see how it does and how labor intensive it is. If it does the job, get a larger quantity and go for it.
It's best on paint that hasn't been on for a long period but it has worked for me on really old stuff too.
Rich

Michael

Threads
Did you try varsol, acetone, paint thinner ????:mur:

Hershey

Threads
Thanks! Actually, the only thing I had on hand was, believe it or not, Windex, and that has worked amazingly well. I'm down to just the thickest part.

noma

Threads
Hay Hershey

DON'T USE ACETONE OR PAINT THINNER OR HARSH CHEMICAL IT WILL RUIN THE FINISH OF YOUR VINYL FLOORING.

Tillie

Threads
Yes take it easy. It seems to me that vinyl is made of the same compounds as some of the paint those chemicals remove. We've used nail polish remover but we had to be careful. Takes the finish right off.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks! Actually, the only thing I had on hand was, believe it or not, Windex, and that has worked amazingly well. I'm down to just the thickest part.

Try using a paste of the Windex and some Bon Ami cleaner....I use Bon Ami for a lot of cleaning projects, my wifes car has factory chrome wheels and brake dust builds up fast...paint thinner and Bon Ami work better for cleaning the dust off than any expensive wheel cleaner I have ever tried.

jacko

Threads
I only use acetone on our wood floors but you have to be very careful to use a steel wool that is very fine so that it will not damage the wood floor. The acetone actually did great in helping us to keep our old wold floors looking line new.

An72

Forum Newbie
Threads
Clean the area with soap, water and a sponge. Dirt can get in the way of the solvent, requiring multiple solvent applications for full removal.Blow dry the surface and apply the vinyl paint solvent. A good brand to consider is Grog it is 100% biodegradable and odorless and it is easy to apply using only a paintbrush or rag. Then wait for the solvent to begin penetrating and removing the paint. When the paint starts to bubble, the solvent is has fully penetrated and is ready to be cleaned off, this process usually takes 1 to 3 minutes. Scrape off the paint with a plastic putty knife. Wash the area again with soap and water to remove any excess solvent or paint residue.