getting a Toro 11/42

sean'sengines

Threads
Hey all,
I will be getting a Toro 11/42 (maybe an early 90s model) from a friend who just bought a new John Deere. (I'm getting this for FREE too!! YES!!!) I'm picking up on Tuesday after I help pick up his new John Deere. He was tired of fixing it. I personally love his old Toro. It's not the prettiest, but the engine and 5speed tranny are very strong. However, he said it keeps throwing a belt (probably a loose tensioner) and that sometimes going down hill, the spring that puts the tension on that pulley on the deck is so old and stretched out that the electric pto just spins the belt on the pulleys and make the belt smoke. So, I possibly need a new tensioner spring for it. I think that's it. I've used it before, it's a very strong tractor, just doesn't work for him since he doesn't do much in the way of maintaining his small engine equipment. Not because he's ignorant, just cause he doesn't know how. Anyway, is there anything else I should look for? I'll probably do a carb rebuild, new battery (which I know it needs) and a head gasket and spark plug when I get it. Then I'll use it for my business.

Thanks for your help, I hope I enjoy this forum!! :)

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey all,
I will be getting a Toro 11/42 (maybe an early 90s model) from a friend who just bought a new John Deere. (I'm getting this for FREE too!! YES!!!) I'm picking up on Tuesday after I help pick up his new John Deere. He was tired of fixing it. I personally love his old Toro. It's not the prettiest, but the engine and 5speed tranny are very strong. However, he said it keeps throwing a belt (probably a loose tensioner) and that sometimes going down hill, the spring that puts the tension on that pulley on the deck is so old and stretched out that the electric pto just spins the belt on the pulleys and make the belt smoke. So, I possibly need a new tensioner spring for it. I think that's it. I've used it before, it's a very strong tractor, just doesn't work for him since he doesn't do much in the way of maintaining his small engine equipment. Not because he's ignorant, just cause he doesn't know how. Anyway, is there anything else I should look for? I'll probably do a carb rebuild, new battery (which I know it needs) and a head gasket and spark plug when I get it. Then I'll use it for my business.

Thanks for your help, I hope I enjoy this forum!! :)

Had not noticed this earlier post...
I believe your on the way to getting this running.... keep posting about it, as you said "school is about out and you will have more time to put toward this....
I hope you enjoy this forum also... glad you chose to join and share your future mowing experiences... :smile:KennyV

sean'sengines

Threads
Well, today, I tackled it more. I took off the carb, cleaned it out, put in all new fuel and fuel lines, and put in a new spark plug (which is getting plenty of spark).

So, I got it running (barely) for about a minute and it died. And it just keeps firing for like 2 times and then stalls. Just kinda fartin around. So, I think it's the fuel/air mixture screws on the top and bottom of the carb. What are the settings for these? My dad told me that I should tighten the screws down all the way, and then turn both of them 1 1/2 turns out and then keep trying it until it fires and keeps running, then to fine tune them to make it run smooth. Is that correct?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
My dad told me that I should tighten the screws down all the way, and then turn both of them 1 1/2 turns out and then keep trying it until it fires and keeps running, then to fine tune them to make it run smooth. Is that correct?

Thats about right...
my old starting point was at least 3/4 up to 1 1/2 open... careful when you bottom out the needle screws, they are a bit soft and you can mis shape the taper...
You will get it... :smile:KennyV

sean'sengines

Threads
3/4 turns up on the one on top, and 1 1/2 turns of the screw on the bottom of the bowl?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think what he means is each one was between 3/4 to 1 1/2 turn out from closed. AGAIN - don't get them too tight when turning them in all the way - just touch bottom and back out. I'd start with 1/2 turn out and open up about 1/8 at a tme unti it runs good - :biggrin:

Good Luck ! :thumbsup:

sean'sengines

Threads
Thanks guys, I'll get this thing going sooner or later!!!