Getting a Good Deal on a John Deere?

Twoinchcut

Threads
I'm planning on buying a John Deere X300.

I can't talk the local guy down one red cent though.

What has your guys' experience been with negotiating for new lawn mowers. Is it common for them to not move off of their price at all?

Is there any other place to get a new X model John Deere aside from a John Deere dealer?

Thanks in advance!

LandN

Threads
i bought most of my john deere equipment from my local dealer,i also have a john deere dealer(larger size dealer) 30 min.farther down the road, basically the same prices, my smaller dealer was maybe a shade higher in price,but the service i have recieved was well worth the pocket change difference.all i can say is make sure you have the need for that size tractor,and your not over buying. looks like 3,100.00 bucks

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is not the right time of year to get a better deal... there are going to be a lot of folks buying mowers within a few wks...
The only time you MAY be able to talk the price down is going into winter, and then it may not be that sure of a thing as that can be a year round tractor... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is not the right time of year to get a better deal... there are going to be a lot of folks buying mowers within a few wks...
The only time you MAY be able to talk the price down is going into winter, and then it may not be that sure of a thing as that can be a year round tractor... :smile:KennyV

Kenny has a good point, this is the wrong time of the year to be dealing on a new mower, the dealers KNOW people want them so they are going to try to make every dollar they can on a sale. Deere especially is hard to get a discount on, as my stepdad used to advise me "you do pay a premium for the name".

Thankfully I DO NOT need to buy any yard care equipment this year. Want yes, need, no.

Texas Turtle

Threads
Went in to my local (big) JD dealer intending to buy an X300 series machine to replace my dying L130 POS. Sat down with sales manager and service manager, discussed my situation, size and frequency of cutting, service issues with previous unit. Long story short, I ended up with a Z445 instead of the X320 I had my eye on. Was promised that it would cut my mowing time in half, effectively doubling my warranty coverage. Purchased 2010 model with Kawasaki engine (2011 unit had only Briggs). Got $300 model year discount, $150 salvage value for my old unit, 12 month no interest payment deal. Spent more than I intended, but first two cuttings took 2.5 hours vs 4 with L130. When I get better at steering the thing, I expect more time savings. At JD, the price is the price until you get up into the $8 - $10 thousand range.

rgmccasland

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also one idea not discussed is looking at used equipment. I found my JD 455 Yammar with 60" deck with 398 hrs for only $750.00. I know that is not the norm by any stretch! However there are some good deals out there if your patient and have the time.

jenkinsph

Threads
I would recommend looking at the X320 and up instead of the X300. The X320 and higher numbered mowers have much better trannies.

I moved from an L130 to an X749, nice move up. I don't think you will get much of a discount on the X3xx machines but I did get 15% off when buying the X749.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Also one idea not discussed is looking at used equipment. I found my JD 455 Yammar with 60" deck with 398 hrs for only $750.00. I know that is not the norm by any stretch! However there are some good deals out there if your patient and have the time.

Welcome to this great and friendly Forum...:wink:

I am with you on the good used equipment... Always worth looking at and often times you can get into commercial or industrial grade machines for the same price as lighter duty residential mowers....

BTW... I'm sure you know....you got an exceptional buy on your low hour JD.... :smile:KennyV