German Roaches

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
So the new house I'm moving into, well was. At the moment almost everything is in the garage waiting to get rid of the roaches. I looked at the house about 1 week before I started moving in. And didn't see one roach. Not a one. The day I hauled my first load, they were everywhere. Some house roaches. But mostly German. The exterminator, along with some stuff I sprayed and put out, made quick work of the house roaches. And seem to slow the German ones down quite a bit. But they're still there.
I put out foggers in every room, and sprayed the baseboards, cabinets and every nook and cranny with some liquid spray I got at Walmart. Then left for about 3 days. Came back and their population was greatly reduced. Now I'm only seeing the babies. But many many babies.
So I put down boric acid in all the cracks and crevasses, under the and behind the stove and frig. And cabinets. And all around the boxes in the garage. That was two days ago. I'm going to take my last load to the house in a couple of days.
And hoping to find the house roach free.
But I've heard German roaches can go weeks with out food or water. In fact, they can invade and infest a house that's spotless. Eating only each other.
I love this house. But won't live with roaches. Anyone battled German roaches and won?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes! Combat roach bait stations. Put them under your sinks and laboratories. Put them under your appliances. Put them in your closets and cabinets.
Do not leave any water in the sinks or tub.
If you wash dishes by hand, dry them and put them away immediately.
Check for water leaks and repair.
They love to live in your water heater’s insulation.
Have the exterminator spray chlorpyrifos around the outside of your house. A 2’ wide band by 2’ up the exterior walls. The exterminator will likely use paste or bait stations inside.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Spiders are your best friend when you stop poisoning them
Fogging works best
They need moisture in plague proportions they might indicate major wet rot so check all of the plumbing carefully .
Eggs can sit for a long time before they hatch
Get a few tubes of sealant and cork up every crack
You can not get rid of cockroaces 100%
The females can fly during mating season so you can get them in 10th floor apartments
People think there are no roaches because they don't see them
While at high school I used to work in the bread room of a major bakery
First job every morning was to sweep up the dead roaches , usually 3 or 4 x 44 gallon drums full of them .
Last job of the day was to fog the entire bakery from the 3rd floor to the basement , around 10-15 gallons of liquid insecticide

First job when leaving high school ( actually 4 weeks before the last exam ) was at a wine botteling factory.
Same story there fogged every evening and swept every morning .

At home & in the workshop I used tubes of the expanding polly styrine foam that go in a caulking gun.
Every cupboard, every window & door frame every skirting board got the foam.
Both are in bushland ( sort of ) settings and once in no more insecticides other than moth balls get used inside.
There are about 1/2 dozen huntsman spiders lurking around so there must be some roaches but I don't see them.
We have hens running loose at home & they take care of most of the roaches outside

4getgto

Threads
Bert.... You're not making your bread over there sound to yummy if you're sweeping up 3/4 44gallon barrels of roaches everyday...? not to mention saturating everything down with insecticide every nite.
My god that's a lot of bugs...?
Must be like eating raisin bread..?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
To get rid of Roaches use Boric Acid mixed with margarine place on aluminum foil inside your cabinets. The foil is to keep the margarine from straining things. The roaches eat this, go off and die at the colony. Then they just kill more at the colonies as roach are cannibals and eat their own dead.

Massive infestations do take take pest control guys but as a maintenance level the Boric Acid works great. I use to have an aunt that bring them in everytime she visited and this how I keep them out our home. It wasn't intentional she did it but was because her house was that nasty with them. My current place is piled up and dusty but least I don't have rotten food and cooking grease everywhere.

And if you live in a city roaches are everywhere. It can be a war zone at times. I live in the country so in the last 6 yrs I seen one roach at my place and it didn't make it. Smack. But even in country there at homes covered up with these little beasts.

And Bert give the Boric Acid a go it should be of help but as I said it needs to be in the dark places so they can eat it. Besides you want to keep it out the reach of the young human rug rats. It sorta like letting the enemy kill themselves. And I have roaches as bad as you describe at one company I worked. One of the office donated a hot water heater and it was the source of them. It was a major war that we nearly lost.

But I got to admit it is a constant war keeping pests at bay. Here right my battles are with mice again but I am sure up my defenses. I put out my candy bars [one pound poison bars] for them. Everytime I go TSC and ask for some pet mice food they get a laugh as they say don't sell pet mice food and oh I then say I mean Decon [or in their case Tomcat].

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes ,mum used to use borax.
It does not need to be mixed with anything.
Cockroaches are a very clean insect they just look ugly
Borax powder sprinkled on surfaces gets on their feet & when they preen themselves they injest it .
Works on some ants as well .
I don't have a roach problem
I work with nature not against it
The huntsmen will knock over the few that get in the house
Hundreds outside which is where they are supposed to be. in the cracks in tree bark, under fallen timber, under large pieces of bark mulch.
They really do not want to be in the house if there is a better place to reside outside and plenty of preditators .
The problems arise when we take one ( or one group out of the cycle ) like for example running birds that sift through debris looking for roaches, small snakes and big lizards take a toll on them as well.
It is all about knowing who eats what and what to encourage in the yard
Why work when nature will do it for you.
In food factories it is a different matter but not on an urban or suburban block.
Pest exterminators have a place but usually they are the problem .
If they come in and knock over all of te spiders for instance then the roach numbers increase so you call them again

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm a firm believer in Boric acid. I had some neighbors once that were infested. When they moved out, the roaches came to my house. By the thousands, it seemed.
So I bought a bunch of Boric acid, covered the entire kitchen. Seriously covered it. It looked like it showed in my kitchen. counters, cabinets, drawers, floor... you couldn't hardly see the surface. I went to a friends house for a few days. When I came back, they were gone. All of them.

These German roaches, from what I'm reading, are a lot tougher than normal house roaches.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes! Combat roach bait stations. Put them under your sinks and laboratories. Put them under your appliances. Put them in your closets and cabinets.
Do not leave any water in the sinks or tub.
If you wash dishes by hand, dry them and put them away immediately.
Check for water leaks and repair.
They love to live in your water heater’s insulation.
Have the exterminator spray chlorpyrifos around the outside of your house. A 2’ wide band by 2’ up the exterior walls. The exterminator will likely use paste or bait stations inside.

He used a few different things. Bait from a big syringe that put out some sort of paste. Something in an aerosol can. And something that was in a pump up bug sprayer. He said one would keep them from reproducing. I'm guessing the babies that I seen the other day, were already eggs when he sprayed. And they hatched afterwards.

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
To get rid of Roaches use Boric Acid mixed with margarine place on aluminum foil inside your cabinets. The foil is to keep the margarine from straining things. The roaches eat this, go off and die at the colony. Then they just kill more at the colonies as roach are cannibals and eat their own dead.

Massive infestations do take take pest control guys but as a maintenance level the Boric Acid works great. I use to have an aunt that bring them in everytime she visited and this how I keep them out our home. It wasn't intentional she did it but was because her house was that nasty with them. My current place is piled up and dusty but least I don't have rotten food and cooking grease everywhere.

And if you live in a city roaches are everywhere. It can be a war zone at times. I live in the country so in the last 6 yrs I seen one roach at my place and it didn't make it. Smack. But even in country there at homes covered up with these little beasts.

And Bert give the Boric Acid a go it should be of help but as I said it needs to be in the dark places so they can eat it. Besides you want to keep it out the reach of the young human rug rats. It sorta like letting the enemy kill themselves. And I have roaches as bad as you describe at one company I worked. One of the office donated a hot water heater and it was the source of them. It was a major war that we nearly lost.

But I got to admit it is a constant war keeping pests at bay. Here right my battles are with mice again but I am sure up my defenses. I put out my candy bars [one pound poison bars] for them. Everytime I go TSC and ask for some pet mice food they get a laugh as they say don't sell pet mice food and oh I then say I mean Decon [or in their case Tomcat].

Margarine mixed with Boric acid. I'll have to try that.

Getting rid of mice, I used young cats. If you don't want to keep the cats, just borrow a couple from a friend. lol If you have neighbors with pet cats, poisoning a mouse, that the neighbors cat decides to have for lunch, will also kill the cat. I'm almost positive that's what happened to one of our cats one time.