Genuine Kawasaki Donaldson filter conversion kit

tuffxf

Threads
G,day,
Someone may be interested, fitted a genuine kawasaki heavy duty air filter kit to my new hustler mower with FR651 engine.
I love the mower but don't love the air filter set up, very dusty here!
I spoke to the kawasaki agent in australia regarding warranty and any requirements to rejet it, doesn't affect warranty and was told no need to touch it.
Had a nice conversation with bertsmobile1 from this forum, thanks mate!
Said i would test inlet restriction with the std setup and the new setup and post some results on here.
Tested the inlet restriction, virtually no difference, maybe ¼ of an inch of water more with the Donaldson kit but as the std filter gets loaded more it will increase inlet restriction.
Inlet restriction was tested with a cat 1U5470 engine pressure group plumbed into the inlet elbow, kit fitted spot on,everything in it and a nice sturdy mount as you would expect with genuine parts
Comes with the FX top cover and mounts, another good feature is the new top cover has an access cover above the fins on each head for blowing out.
Cheers
Paul

Attachments

• 3 hr std air filter and dirty oiled prefilter.jpg
    3 hr std air filter and dirty oiled prefilter.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 11
  • brand new std filter and brand new unoiled pre filter.jpg
    brand new std filter and brand new unoiled pre filter.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Engine off reading.jpg
    Engine off reading.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 12
  • filter kit.jpg
    filter kit.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 10
  • filter swap.jpg
    filter swap.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 9
  • genuine kawasaki donaldson conversion kit.jpg
    genuine kawasaki donaldson conversion kit.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 11
  • oiled prefilter 3 hrs use.jpg
    oiled prefilter 3 hrs use.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 9
  • plumbed into air intake elbow.jpg
    plumbed into air intake elbow.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 11
  • test gear.jpg
    test gear.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 12

txmowman

Threads
Pre-filters are not intended to be oiled. Geez, read your owners manual!

tuffxf

Threads
Pre-filters are not intended to be oiled. Geez, read your owners manual!
Geez? I did read the manual, they do say that, they also come std with no pre filter. They may be ok on lush green lawns but no good here. If you open your eyes and look at what I posted you will see there is no difference in intake restriction between the prefilter oiled and dirty as per the picture or brand new unoiled
If you used a proper foam air filter oil and squeeze everything you can out of the foam then blot it with a paper towel there is no risk of making the paper filter damp and it will catch more dust. Still not a patch on the Donaldson unit.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
FR engines don't come with the prefilter FS engines do and the FX come with the Donaldson two stage commercial filter system like You mounted on your engine. Good job by the way. Looks nice. Worked on a Kohler EFI the other day that only came with the outer big filter of course I added the inner smaller filter.

tuffxf

Threads
G,day,
Thanks! it works great!
Yeah the pre filter is not standard but the hustler and husquarna dealers up here supply them on the mowers with the fr engines when you buy them as its so dusty.
I was talking to a guy that works at a very large dealership in Mackay Queensland and he was telling me he has fitted over 50 of those genuine kawasaki kits so far.
Cheers

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cool, My Toro FR651V came with pre-filter, But I built my own Donaldson set up. Solid as a rock. But here in the states, the Dealer said it would void warranty. So I waited till out of warranty, & added it.

Last edited:

tuffxf

Threads
That's the go! :-

txmowman

Threads
Geez? I did read the manual, they do say that, they also come std with no pre filter. They may be ok on lush green lawns but no good here. If you open your eyes and look at what I posted you will see there is no difference in intake restriction between the prefilter oiled and dirty as per the picture or brand new unoiled
If you used a proper foam air filter oil and squeeze everything you can out of the foam then blot it with a paper towel there is no risk of making the paper filter damp and it will catch more dust. Still not a patch on the Donaldson unit.
Oil does nothing but attract dirt! It has no place on a lawn mower air filter. Period.