Generators?

jenkinsph

Threads
I would recommend the new Honda 3000 watt inverter genset modeled after the 2000I at around 75 lbs it is portable, with recoil start, very quiet and will have no problem running a gas or oil furnace, tv, fridge freezer or other small appliances.. I have several gensets gas and diesel, the small Honda's are the ones that get used the most. I have the 2000I which weighs about 46 lbs and runs almost all day on 1 gal of fuel. If you compare these small Hondas' with the open frame budget gensets you will be amazed at how quiet these things are.

If you must have electric start the 3000 w Honda with built in tank and battery is super quiet at 58db but weighs about 140 lbs. While a good unit I find it to be too heavy to be considered truely portable. While I like the one I have it is mounted on the rear of our 5th wheel now and bought the 2000 w model to serve as the "portable".

My choice of small diesel gensets are the Onan "Commercial Mobile Quiet Diesels" CMQD models I have a 5500w on one of my service trucks. These are equipped with a Kubota diesel engine and water cooled with choices of 120v, 208v 3phase or 240v, 50 0r 60 cycle models too.

Rocky

Threads
I have a 3000 model for my RV, but it's more generator than I really need to do the job. It's also heavier and more cumbersome than I would prefer. The 2000I might be what I need!

mois25

Threads
Are you talking of the Honda 2000I generators? I was going through some product review for these and realized that they are light enough and can even be hauled in wheel carts.

monica123

Threads
I am leaning either toward a Honda or a King, has anyone used a King? we have other products they make and have had good success with them.

rander

Threads
Sorry I'm a little late to the party but I will endorse the recommendations for a Honda generator.
After hurricane Katrina hit here in South Louisiana in 2005 I was able to get a 7500 W John Deere gnerator. Essentially it is a Honda generator in green paint. We ran it for 10 - 15 hours a day for amost a month without any problems. Changed the oil every 50 hours and replaced the spark plug a couple of times. Have only used it one other time for a couple of days after a lesser storm a few years ago. I run it for 30-45 minutes once a month and change the oil every 6 months and it starts up every time and runs smooth as glass with good electrical output. Don't know much about other brands but the Hondas perform over the long haul..

Stevie-Ray

Threads
I've got the same Coleman 5000W JD has, but I built it in a class the UAW was offering. It was only 200 bucks for the unit, so well worth it. Still, even though it could power my entire house, we've just used it to plug our and our neighbors fridges and freezers in for a cycle every few hours, so as not to lose meat and such. It's funny seeing your neighbor coming up with the end of an extension cord in his hand. :laughing: Thinking about TVs and such is generally not considered until we've been told we'll be out a week or so. That's never happened to us here, but it might be different up north.