Generator for lawn tracor

metz12

Well-Known Member
So one of my teachers told me about this generator that you attach to your tractor engine and it generates electricity. He has an 18hp Farmall and i was just wondering if I could buy one for my lawn tractor. I have a 5000 watt already but I was curious so we have a backup. This blizzard up here in the northeast really got me thinking about it.
 
I don't know of one currently, but Briggs a few years ago had a 1500 watt generator built into a few of there engines, complete with 110 volt plugs.
 
It sure sounds like a good idea. I big problim I can see from it I don't think it would be very fuel efficient. I find as for myself my generators sit around 99% of the time doing nothing so I have to keep the fuel drained from them. Now when you need them the lights are out, you have to drag them out and get them started. Now my garden thactor is always in runing condition cuting grass in the summer and snow removeal in the winter. Now if it was a easy job to install a generator on your tractor, just maybe?? or would it be a major job to install? I also see the make units that sit by your house and come on automatic when the lights go out but that is also a big investment.
 
It sure sounds like a good idea. I big problim I can see from it I don't think it would be very fuel efficient. I find as for myself my generators sit around 99% of the time doing nothing so I have to keep the fuel drained from them. Now when you need them the lights are out, you have to drag them out and get them started. Now my garden thactor is always in runing condition cuting grass in the summer and snow removeal in the winter. Now if it was a easy job to install a generator on your tractor, just maybe?? or would it be a major job to install? I also see the make units that sit by your house and come on automatic when the lights go out but that is also a big investment.

that is exactly what i was thinking. you can just drive the tractor over to where the outlet is you know? no fussing with carrying it, or putting it in the bed of the truck to bring it to where i need to. its on the other side of the house and i keep the generator in the basement. while its running i can try to get the thing out there you know?
 
I second the dragging them out and getting them started. A pain in the behind and in the dark. Everything is dead quiet at night with the power out. Except for this generator thundering away.
 
I second the dragging them out and getting them started. A pain in the behind and in the dark. Everything is dead quiet at night with the power out. Except for this generator thundering away.

Not only your own generator is thundering away but also all the neighbors
 
Sears used to offer ones that attached to the front end of their Suburban line of garden tractors. They ran off of a belt from the engine and used the front mule mount. Other manufactures probably did too. Here's one somebody made themselves, but the idea is the same. This one is a 4000w.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n218/MN_GB/HPIM0498-1.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n218/MN_GB/HPIM0497.jpg

thats cool. its also small where you could drive to where the outlet is on your house too. and its a good amount of wattage.
 
Back
Top