General engine question!

Rickcin

Threads
I have a single cylinder 15 hp generator that I have not started in 3 years but did so today.

Apparently the engine only starts and runs when fully choked. If I attemp to un-choke the engine, it stalls.

What’s the deal?

MowLife

Threads
I’m guessing your carb is gummed up or something restricting flow. If it has a bowl on carb clean it out. Sometimes it will clear out letting it run for awhile partially choked using fresh gas. If not you probably need to clean and inspect your carb. If it has a filter...make sure it’s clean also.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Grunge build up in the carb or plain old corrosion.
Time to whip the carb off , after taking lots of photos of all of the linkages. and give it a good cleaning.
outdoor power equipment has an excellent step by step photo instruction for cleaning most carbs.

Rickcin

Threads
Grunge build up in the carb or plain old corrosion.
Time to whip the carb off , after taking lots of photos of all of the linkages. and give it a good cleaning.
outdoor power equipment has an excellent step by step photo instruction for cleaning most carbs.

It’s ironic because I always used fuel stabilizer and let it completrun dry before storing it.

Threads
If you have the Nikki carb on your engine then it's a finicky carb and a good cleaning is in order... Just taking the bowl off and cleaning it won't do the trick..... In fact if you do have the Nikki carb then the whole carb needs to come off... The noodle gasket has to be in place just right to reassemble..........

When it is apart all the tiny holes and the jet has to be cleaned well.......

BTW most fuel stabilizers are worse than the Ethanol gas you are putting in your tank....... Yes your carb is varnised and you did the right thing by running it dry......

Let us know the make of the engine and the model number ~!~!

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Running unit dry does not mean you have removed all the fuel from the unit. There is always fuel left in the tank, lines and carb bowl. Best way to solve problem is to run til it stops, remove gas cap, remove carb bowl drain if it has one or loosen bolt holding carb bowl, do not remove, allowing fuel in the lines and bowl to drain out. Let stand for a day and reinstall everything. You now have a dry fuel system, ready for next season and you don’t have to worry about Ethanol or stabilizers.

SidecarFlip

Threads
Most generators (mine included) have a provision for draining the bowl. I dry up the fuel system every year before I stow it (RV generator).

Rickcin

Threads
If you have the Nikki carb on your engine then it's a finicky carb and a good cleaning is in order... Just taking the bowl off and cleaning it won't do the trick..... In fact if you do have the Nikki carb then the whole carb needs to come off... The noodle gasket has to be in place just right to reassemble..........

When it is apart all the tiny holes and the jet has to be cleaned well.......

BTW most fuel stabilizers are worse than the Ethanol gas you are putting in your tank....... Yes your carb is varnised and you did the right thing by running it dry......

Let us know the make of the engine and the model number ~!~!

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

The generator is labeled as Powermate and the manual that accompanied the unit does not mention the manufacturer of the engine!

Rickcin

Threads
Do to properly run it dry, remove the carb bowl drain but not the bowl? Want to be sure I’m throughly understanding.

SidecarFlip

Threads
The bowl will be secured by a bolt through the bottom. Loosening the bolt enough to elicit some flow and then waiting a few minutes will allow the bowl to drain completely. My genny has a screw in the bottom of the bowl that does the same thing.