General Carb Question...

Gumby83

Threads
Carb barrel gaskets are most often called intake or manifold gaskets.

“Yes, that!” -Lord Helmet, Commander of Spaceball 1

carbnclean - if you don’t know, the barrel of the carb is the primary air passage through the carb - more commonly known as the venturi. Technically speaking, however, a venturi should have a reduction in diameter and, in my experience anyway, is not a typical feature on these small engine carbs.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Almost every 4 cylinder small engine carb I’ve worked on the last 50 years has a Venturi. Some may not be a necked down as you would think, but it is there. Most of those that look straight are slightly smaller and with the extended main nozzle helping, they are smaller in area producing the Bernoulli effect or principle To draw in fuel.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
“Yes, that!” -Lord Helmet, Commander of Spaceball 1

carbnclean - if you don’t know, the barrel of the carb is the primary air passage through the carb - more commonly known as the venturi. Technically speaking, however, a venturi should have a reduction in diameter and, in my experience anyway, is not a typical feature on these small engine carbs.
Get your caipers out & measure the inlet opening then measure the outlet.
Guess which one is smaller ?
Usual method of working out which gasket goes where.
The one with the smaller hole goes on the engine side

Gumby83

Threads
Almost every 4 cylinder small engine carb I’ve worked on the last 50 years has a Venturi. Some may not be a necked down as you would think, but it is there. Most of those that look straight are slightly smaller and with the extended main nozzle helping, they are smaller in area producing the Bernoulli effect or principle To draw in fuel.
Get your caipers out & measure the inlet opening then measure the outlet.
Guess which one is smaller ?
Usual method of working out which gasket goes where.
The one with the smaller hole goes on the engine side

Ok, I get it - I retract my previous statement. It was based on observation only - I’m used to seeing a clear reduction in size.