Generac valve lash

ghost1

Threads
I have a 2007 Dixie with a Generac engine that I think is a 27 horse powered by propane. Tags identifying engine are gone and unable to find much info on line about specs. Any help would be appreciated to adjust valves.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We ask this question way too many times, what are the model and serial numbers for both the piece of equipment and the engine? Even though Generac is not a major engine manufacturer, unless we can identify which engine you have, we can’t give you much help. Just saying “I have a 27hp engine” doesn’t help much. With unit numbers we might be able to cross reference to the engine. Also, a couple of pictures of the engine will give us a starting point.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The propane and natural gas generac generators are famous for hard starting if the valve lash is not dead on because there is not enough vacum to activate the regulator diaphragm. The 2 finger salute in the carb is the test. Seen it a few times myself. Not sure if the gas engines are that sensitive to lash adjustment. If after adjusting the valves and still hard to start and sticking fingers in the carb barrels makes it start up the diaphragm is too stiff and the regulator needs replaced. Not sure if you are having a problem and just an FYI .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Let me ask a question here since I don't see these propane or NG setups. Do they have a choke like regular gasoline engines?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes. The choke is on a solenoid. As the engine cranks it will open and close every few seconds on a timer. If the engine does not start after a certain amount of cranking time it logs an over crank code. One of the reasons generators auto run once a month is to keep the regulator diaphragm flexible and the needle valve unstuck. If it sets for long periods they almost always need the 2 finger salute to get the diaphragm to pop the needle loose.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for explaination. I keep that in the back of my mind; although, it is full of cobwebs.