Geez, This Is New. Has Me Baffled.

LawnCzar

Forum Newbie
Threads
I`ve own a 2000 series Cub Cadet since new for over 20 years. One, maybe two problems in that time, but this has me baffled? Mowing the lawn, mower just shut down. I checked for spark first and there was none. Bad plug? Changed it out for a new one after gapping the speced .040. Had spark and she fired right back up and continued to cut grass. Then after 10 - 15 minutes, mower deck belt blew off and seen the spring had come off (can`t remember but the motor may have shut down?). Never happened before, so put everything back and mower would not start again. Checked for spark and there was none. Blew a brand new spark plug? Never heard of such a thing but I`m a carpenter by trade. Can something be doing this?
I should mention, I recently put a Cub Cadet OEM mulching blade assembly I used just once prior for about 1 hour. When I first used it, I noticed the extra strain on the machine with the extra blade on each spindle. Wondering if this is having an adverse effect on the motor system? Geez, This Is New. Has Me Baffled.

Bertrrr

Threads
Spark plugs rarely go out , a fouled plug will look like new sort of shiny , a firing plug will be a bit gray and dry
older plugs my look a little black but if they're firing the electrode will be dry and gray looking ,
Pull the plug hook the wire up and ground the threaded area while spinning it over, it will turn freely and you'll see the spark there - if no spark you'll need to work back from there and look at the wire , coil etc.
I usually stick a screw driver into the plug wire if there is no spark at the plug , grab with my hand while touching ground somewhere and spin it over------- it should and will shock the fire out of your hand but that is a sure fire way to know the magneto and coil is working as designed.
Hope this gets you moving in the right direction

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Extra blade on each spindle ? two per spindle ?
Sounds like one of the safety switches is not working as it should
The silly mistake is trying to restart a mower that cut out while you were mowing without shutting down the blade switch because with it still in the on position there will be no spark .
The landlord runs a fleet of 2000 series Cubs and we spent a full season chasing down a random cut out problem
Ended up being floating debris in the fuel tank choking off the fuel supply .
To check if you have a bad safety switch ( most likely the brake ) you need to remove the kill wire(s) from the coil(s)
Not easy to do on the single and even harder with the twin but you can get to them through the cleaning ports in the blower housing using long tweezers . long pliers or hemeostats .

LawnCzar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Extra blade on each spindle ? two per spindle ?
Sounds like one of the safety switches is not working as it should
The silly mistake is trying to restart a mower that cut out while you were mowing without shutting down the blade switch because with it still in the on position there will be no spark .
The landlord runs a fleet of 2000 series Cubs and we spent a full season chasing down a random cut out problem
Ended up being floating debris in the fuel tank choking off the fuel supply .
To check if you have a bad safety switch ( most likely the brake ) you need to remove the kill wire(s) from the coil(s)
Not easy to do on the single and even harder with the twin but you can get to them through the cleaning ports in the blower housing using long tweezers . long pliers or hemeostats .
The OEM New In Cub Cadet Box for my model year had a slightly smaller main upper blade, plus a blade that went below (perpendicular), it`s maybe half the width and length in size. A large, heavy spacer was not used from the original set up eliminating some weight, but over all, Im guessing this muching set up is a bit heavier and creating more torque? My new plug has no spark now. Can something damage the plug? Blade switch is off, that should not stop the motor being on anyway. About 3 years ago, I believe I changed all the safety switches.
Major puzzle!

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Spark plugs do not produce spark they put it in the cylinder to fire the compressed air fuel mixture at the right time.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Extra blades, hi lift kits like Snapper's use and such create more of a blade load and drink more fuel.

Did your mower have that mulching accessory when you bought your mower? Same year?

Or did you find some new mulching kit and it supposedly fits your mower?

Without knowing, I would guess at your mulching part is not OEM to your model.

Bertrrr

Threads
Usually safety switches will keep the machine from engaging the starter. Why let the starter turn over and interrupt the ignition ? Cub may be different though

LawnCzar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Extra blades, hi lift kits like Snapper's use and such create more of a blade load and drink more fuel.

Did your mower have that mulching accessory when you bought your mower? Same year?

Or did you find some new mulching kit and it supposedly fits your mower?

Without knowing, I would guess at your mulching part is not OEM to your model.
Definitely OEM to my Cub Year and model. I researched this extensively from all my original manuals and the Cub Cadet website. Plus, the component that blocks the opening of the clippings is a custom fit to my deck. (mounting holes and shape will not fit any other deck). It is a model 2130. Small 38" deck. Fit perfectly. Found a new old stock in original box with proper part number on eBay. But my first use, the component that starts the deck belt at the front of the mower (forget what it is called, clutch?), did not want to engage. But once it did, it seemed ok engaging and disengaging.
Hope to get to the bottom of this soon?

Last edited:

LawnCzar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking at my owner`s material. I bought this in `95, for $2770. Smallest model as I recall. Made in USA though! Nearly 30 years later and things have changed a bit. Amazingly that $2770 buys a bigger machine. Love to keep it going.