Gearbox grease

McB

Threads
How often should the gearbox grease be replaced?
Husqvarna 924HV
Model number 961930070 00
DOM: 091911 (2011)

Since I have a 10 y/o snow blower when is it necessary? Owners manual implies only if gearbox has been repaired. The only reason I can think of to repair a gearbox is impact with something and shear pins fail or grease failure.Screenshot_20231111-083945.png

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Make sure gearbox stays full of grease, otherwise moisture will creep in open spaces inside gearbox.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Make sure gearbox stays full of grease, otherwise moisture will creep in open spaces inside gearbox.
Unless it has a grease zerk, you don’t want to open it up and spilt the two halves, contend with a gasket, etc. Most snowblowers are low hour machines with not much use. Crack it open and take a look if your curiosity is getting to you.

McB

Threads
Unless it has a grease zerk, you don’t want to open it up and spilt the two halves, contend with a gasket, etc. Most snowblowers are low hour machines with not much use. Crack it open and take a look if your curiosity is getting to you.

From the manufacturer's manual:
AUGER GEAR CASE•The gear case was filled with lubricant to the proper level at the factory. The only time the lubricant needs attention is if service has been performed on the gearcase.•If lubricant is required, use only Ronex ED #1

My thought was to open the fill port and pump grease into the gear box until it overflows. Put the cover back on and repeat again. My concern is the left, right, and rear seat may fail over time and result in shaft damage.

Yes , I have to much time on my hands

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don’t pump any grease into the gearbox unless you are positive it contains grease. Depending on the manufacturer it could have grease, 80W-90 oil, 30W, etc. Pumping grease into a case which uses oil will lead to problems.

McB

Threads
Don’t pump any grease into the gearbox unless you are positive it contains grease. Depending on the manufacturer it could have grease, 80W-90 oil, 30W, etc. Pumping grease into a case which uses oil will lead to problems.
Rivets, I checked. The manufacturer filled the gearbox with grease (Ronex ED #1) during manufacturing.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You don’t tell us the manufacturer, so how are we to know exactly what type of lube you need. If you look up the specs for Ronex ED #1, you will see that this is way over kill for a snowblower gearbox. Second, you stated;
From the manufacturer's manual:
AUGER GEAR CASE•The gear case was filled with lubricant to the proper level at the factory. The only time the lubricant needs attention is if service has been performed on the gearcase.
If you are not going to open the gearbox, why throw out the manufactures recommendation?

old yooper

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 30 year old Ariens leaked the oil out of the gear box as the seal has failed. What I did was take a plastic bolt drill a hole thru the bolt, tap the hole for a zerk, then when I am getting the blower ready for winter I remove the fill plug put the homemade zerk into the fill port and pump cold temperature grease into the gear case. Then replace the zerk with the fill plug. The grease is thick enough that it does not run out past what is left of the seal and does not firm up to jam the gears. I would not do this on a newer blower, but for this old blower, it is "good enough". And this has worked for the last four winters.
The blowers first ten years were lived in the U.P.'s snow belt and now live in the SE part of the U.P. where the winters have much less snow, roughly 90 inches.

Gord Baker

Threads
How often should the gearbox grease be replaced?
Since I have a 10 y/o snow blower when is it necessary? Owners manual implies only if gearbox has been repaired. The only reason I can think of to repair a gearbox is impact with something and shear pins fail or grease failure.View attachment 67292
If it is working don't fix it! If you have an opening fill it with grease or 90 weight oil or both.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Gear boxes have lubrication systems based on the type of lubricant used
So things like heavy grease to replace oil can starve bushes that rely on small oil holes or scrolls for lubricant supply
Similarly oils will drain completely out of the bearings & bushes between use so when first started many will be almost dry .