GCV190 main shaft key problem

Robwid

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Honda GCV190/Simpson pressure washer that was given to me. After a tune up it worked great until the water pressure dropped and oil poured out the bottom of the engine. It appears that the main shaft key between the engine and the pump slipped up the keyway until it disengaged with the pump and also took out the oil seal. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can prevent the key from moving in the keyway so I don’t ruin the new oil seal?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
i don't think the pump shouldbe able to move. It should be bolted to the bottom of the engine or the frame to support it.

Robwid

Forum Newbie
Threads
The pump didn’t move. Just the key in the keyway.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The key is too short allowing it to move up the shaft groove until is pops out at the top of the taper area, and in some cases will also break the pump coupler. I made a longer key for one that I had to replace the pump on due to that exact issue. The longer key causes it to bind in the groove before riding up into the taper portion of the key slot.

Robwid

Forum Newbie
Threads
The key is too short allowing it to move up the shaft groove until is pops out at the top of the taper area, and in some cases will also break the pump coupler. I made a longer key for one that I had to replace the pump on due to that exact issue. The longer key causes it to bind in the groove before riding up into the taper portion of the key slot.

Robwid

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was thinking about a longer key but was concerned with balance issues. A local repair guy just returned my call and said he’s seen this many times. He said the fix is to use a cold chisel on the keyway to move a bit of metal in to stop the key from moving.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not conversant with the se up but it sounds likes a tab washer might be in order or perhaps some locktite shaft seal